Connect with us

Timer-- 1 or 2 second pulse-- 9 volt

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by DougE, Feb 17, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. DougE

DougE

Feb 17, 2013
    Hi

Ok,... my expertise in electronics ends with flipping the wall switch to turn on a light. If the light comes on then I feel I am very close to being Tesla in my understanding of electricity. If the light doesn't come on then I blame the power company !

This is what I would like to achieve and get your help with (please)

I am looking to drive a 'false' pendulum wooden clock. The pendulum functions just fine and I am not looking to actually drive it. However,... I know the people I make these clocks for are ummm 'lazy'. So, they can't remember to wind the weight every few days to maintain the clock. It's just like all grandfather type clocks, they look wonderful but,... they do require maintenance.
    I am attempting to make the clocks movement(gearing) work without the necessity of the clocks weights being required. So I need a solenoid 'plunging' action every second to turn the gears. The weight and pendulums will remain 'active' but won't be driving the clock at all (They will be removed from the gear linkage and be decorative. Or, in other words, the pendulum wlll swing and maintian its own 1 or 2 second swing as long as the clock owner remembers to wind the weight back up every few days. If they forget, the clock will still have the correct time reading on it, because it will be operating off of the solenoid action only.)

Ok,... so...

I am looking to drive the clocks movement with a solenoid that pulses every second.
    I would like to power the solenoid on (2) 9 volt type batteries run in parallel. (Excuse my use of terms which I only pretend to understand. I think I want 9 volts output to the solenoid and to use two of them together to increase the longevity before having to replace the batteries when they die)
    I would like to be able to either 'change' the pulse to be once every (1) second or once every 2 seconds (if possible). I have clocks with both 1 and 2 second swings and gearing.

No, I cannot use voltage from the wall outlet. Must be battery powered. The illusion of course is that it does not require 'power',.. it's a wooden clock! Batteries, solenoid and circuitry will be disguised in the framing.

A type of example would be found here (sorta)
    This is not my device, nor is it battery powered. It is just meant to give you an idea of the solenoid and pulse I am trying to create. (Again, I am looking to do this through simple 9 volt type batteries, or perhaps 6 AA batteries. NOT powered with AC)

Ok,... I've attempted to figure this out without any real luck. I'm pretty sure I've read at least 1/2 the internet and for some reason I feel bafffled. (Ok,.. so I got sidetracked in my search once in a while... )

I've read things about using a 555 timing chip thingy....
    I've read things that say to take apart a simple 1.5 volt quartz clock and use it for the timer. (This almost seemed ideal... but... 1.5 volts is not enough power to drive a solenoid with any torque (?).. Again,.. who am I to know)

So,... Lets try and boil this down.

1. Output power to solenoid- 9 volts (battery)
    2. Input power to timer -- 9 volts from same battery source above
    3. One second pulse delay(accurate) -- duration (?).. ummm .5 seconds (?)
    4. Ability to change to 2 second pulse delay(accurate)--
    5. Small in size.

I would of course greatly appreciate someone willing to explain how I can make this type of timer. Someone who can maybe draw me a pretty picture that I can understand. (Sorry but,.. the electronic schematics all look like treasure hunt maps to me and I can't find 'north' on them to save my life)
    I would like to know what (exactly) I should purchase and from where if possible. (Jameco I think is a good eelcronic source but,.. hey,... I don't know... )

I would greatly appreciate all of your help.

Sorry for the long-long explanations and sarcasm! Just hoping to be clear that I am not an expert or even close to understanding what it is I need to accomplish.

Thank you

DougE

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    An approach that works is to have a small electromagnet that turns on briefly once per second. It provides a little bit of "pull" which needs to be just sufficient to overcome the air (& mechanical etc.) resistance of the pendulum (i.e. it doesn't need to be very much).

3. DougE

DougE

Feb 17, 2013
    Hi Steve

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have seen the pulsed pendulum with electromagnet you speak of. Though I am not looking to 'drive' or impulse the pendulum, I would be interested in one day creating a clock with this 'helper' action. (I have no idea how to build this type of circuit though. Let's just say that I have duct tape and popsicle sticks to work with,... So I am looking for a shopping list and 'instructions' for the one second pulse switch you speak of.)

The circuit you are speaking of is for creating the impulse to the pendulum. I am not looking to drive the pendulum however. I am looking to drive the 'gear' or ratchet instead. My pendulums swing without any necessity of an aditonal impulse. (As long as the clock owner 'winds' the drive weight!.. and this is what I am trying to eliminate.)

If the clock owner 'forgets' to wind the clock, the pendulum will come to a stop after a few days. But,... I am going to be permanently disconnecting the pendulum gear from the drive-train. The pendulum and weight will still work with each other and swing in a natural manner, but they will only be doing this as a 'decorative' function.

I 'want' to drive the clocks gear-train (hours and minute gear-train) with a circuit that pulses once every second to pull on a ratchet gear. (It sounds like the same thing you are suggesting, but I am looking to drive a solenoid to pull and release a ratchet. Please forgive me my ignorance in all of this. )

ok,...

Like I said,.. .I've got duct tape, popsicle sticks and now I have added to my collection of tools and empty coffee cup.

If you could help me with a shopping list and a 'how to for dummies', I would be greatly appreciative. (Yes I can solder and am not as 'dumb' as I am pretending to be here!... But, I don't exactly understand electronics and certainly not circuitry. I know what (+) and (-) mean on the battery terminals,.. I know how a solenoid works as a 'magnet' of sorts. I understand mechanical actions.. etc.... But,.. I dont' understand electronics like this, so I'm looking for some real 'simple' type of explanations and help from all of you if possible. EG,... order a 555 timer chip with 8 legs. Solder leg 1 (+) to batttery terminal (+) from the 9 volt supply... solder a wire lead from terminal 5 to a xyz doohickey... from the doohickey attach the solenoid terminal A.... etc....)

Gosh,... hope I'm not being a pain. Just looking for someone with some Sunday morning patience to explain how I can do this.

Thank you

Doug E

4. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    There are several ways to get the 1 second pulse.

1) a GPS with a 1pps output
    2) a battery clock mechanism
    3) a crystal oscillator and a divider

And many more. (2) may be the cheapest.

5. DougE

DougE

Feb 17, 2013
    Hi Steve,

Yes, using a battery operated quartz clock has been my ideal solution.

I have one sitting here beside me. I've pried it apart.

It runs on 1.5 volts.

Ok,.. now....

The solenoid which drives the small gear in this clock has 2 white leads going to it. It receives a pulse every half-second I believe (?). One pulse pushes the solenoid, the second pulse returns the solenoid to zero (?). This is just my guesses.

How can I change the voltage?

I surely can't just wire a 9 volt battery to this to give me the 'power' and torque that I will need to drive my solenoid (?). This will just burn up the 1.5 volt board (yes?)

So,... how do I use the 2 leads going to the small clock solenoid, to drive a larger voltage.? How do I use this as a 'switch' ?

Please be patient with me !

Thank you

Doug E

6. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    You are correct, wiring a 9V battery to it will be very bad.

The signal may change state twice per second as you describe, but that would make it 1 cycle per second.

There are a number of web sites which show how to use quartz clock movements to do things, and maybe one of them will help.

A simple option is to use the output of this circuit to switch a transistor on and off (this needs only a touch over 0.6V) and then this transistor can be used to switch a higher voltage load.

See here.

7. DougE

DougE

Feb 17, 2013
    Thank you very-very much Steve!

I will now begin experimenting with the helpful information and link you provided.

Again, I appreciate your help and effort to guide me along.

DougE

Ask a Question