Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Timed door open

bobbit4

Aug 12, 2009
Hey,

I've had an idea, and with very little knowledge want to try and make it happen to make life a bit easier. So I'm after some pointers to get me going in the right direction if anyone can help. Basically, I want to open a door at a specific time in the morning. for example 7am it's only a small wooden door so there's no weight there. The door falls and then makes a ramp so I only need to get it going then gravity should do the rest.

Basically I was thinking of using a timer from maplins type 32996 in the product search box and that will show the one.. I'd post the link but I don't have enough posts here for that yet :)

The plans to use something like that for the timer function and then when that trips, a solenoid will knock the door open......ow yes it's a sketchy idea filled with details!! :D

Obviously the timer linked is geared for mains voltage and this is going to be outside...will I be able to convert to battery powered which I'd imagine would depend on what power the solenoid will need to operate. Even if someone can confirm the idea and parts...well the timer are feasable to use I can at least carry on trying to work the electrics out knowing I'm not wasting my time!

(hopefully that makes some sort of sense?)

Thanks,

Dan.

ElectronWorks

Aug 20, 2009
We have a kit that will do that for you - and enable you to set the time and 'trip ON time' and 'trip OFF time'. It also has an LED display and a relay. Have a look at my website (you need the 4 digit/2 alarm timer. Kit comes with instruction, all parts and PCB. Let me know. Can be powered from a 9V wall cube so you dont have to mess around with the mains...

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

bobbit4

Aug 12, 2009
Ow superb!! Looks like just the job! So I'd be able to use that and run it off a normal 9volt battery?

ElectronWorks

Aug 20, 2009
It will work off a 9V battery, but the LEDs will soon drain the battery. You would be better off running it off something bigger (a car battery will provide plenty of power), but better still a wall cube power supply is what it is designed for (big block on top of a mains plug that spits out 9V).

Bill Naylor

bobbit4

Aug 12, 2009
Okay that sounds workable to me should be able to sort something out from there as you've done the hard work! :D

Just placed the order, thanks a lot for your help!

Dan

ElectronWorks

Aug 20, 2009
Hi

Your kit has just been posted!

Thanks for your order and spread the word about the kits we have to offer!

Thanks

Bill

bobbit4

Aug 12, 2009
Hey,

Recieved the kit today, incredibly fast delivery thanks!

I do have one question though you said I would be able to run this off a battery, instead of mains how would I go about doing this?

Thanks,

Dan.

ElectronWorks

Aug 20, 2009
:DThe kit has a 7805 regulator on the front end, so to get 5V out of it, you need at least 7V in. If you can keep it to 7V then the heat dissipation in the 7805 will be minimal, although the kit has been tested with 12V input and the 7805 only got warm.

You can buy standard 2.5mm jack plugs from Maplin. Just wire up the CENTRE pin to + and the outer case to 0V and you will get the correct polarity

L43AY looks to be about the right size, but I suggest you take the connector (from my kit) into Maplin and check for the correct fit.