Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Time for a laugh

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I discovered this Gem when surfing through pages about Engineers and their apparent lack of a sense of humour

This particular EE did have one ....

The origin of the WOM - the "Write Only Memory

An engineer at Signetics, frustrated by the long and useless sequence of approvals for data sheets (during which no actual checking occurred), once made up a spec for a "Write Only Memory" (a "WOM") and sent it along with a batch of other data sheets to be approved. After all, if you are selling "Read Only Memories", why not have a "Write Only Memory"? It's perfectly logical - - which is why the managers saw nothing wrong with the data sheet.

The WOM data sheet went through the approval chain, just fine, and wound up in Signetics' new products catalog. This came to the attention of the managers at Signetics, only after customers began asking for price and delivery. Signetics shortly printed up new "corrected" databooks, without any WOMs, and asked for the "erroneous" ones to be returned. But customers soon got word of why they asked for returns, and hid them properly.

have a look at that datasheet PDF file and you really have to take note of the notations and their references at the bottom of the first page
Write Only Memory

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
This page was dug out by Bob Pease and posted on his Website. I never had a chance to meet Bob Pease in person (alas, he's left the wordly realms), but I love his humurous style. If you have some time, it pays to visit his website for some more gems.

Harald

geekygenius

Jan 21, 2013
I like the six foot fan and the "Whatever's Right" packaging. This is awesome :)

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Some more digs at engineers ......

Arguing with an engineer is like trying to teach a pig to sing.
It wastes your time, and annoys the pig.

How do you know if someone is an engineer ?
You don't have to ask him... he will tell you.

Warning sign: "Danger 50,000 Ohms"

For all those engineers in training...

An engineering student was handed their test back and saw that they had recieved a ZERO! Aghast at getting a zero after studing all night, the engineering student sat down
and reworked the problem. They found out that they got the correct answer, except they had got the sign wrong! Determined to at least get partial credit for their test answer,
they went to the engineer professor and showed how they had correct answer, and showed all the work, and just got the wrong sign.

The engineering professor looked at the engineering student and just shook their head. "Minus sign is wrong, bridge upside down - No partial credit!"

Dave