Connect with us

Tillman Preamp J201 Replacement

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Benoit, Jul 11, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Benoit

Benoit

Jul 11, 2012
    Hey guys,

I'm planning on putting together a Tillman Preamp, a simple little device, but I've hit a snag. The 2N5457 and J201 JFETs have been discontinued, and I'm finding it difficult to find a suitable replacement. The above JFETs were chosen because of their low noise characterisitcs, high impedance, and low ON current (~0.2 to 1mA). Schematic:

[​IMG]

I've found a few articles on how to adjust R2, R3, and R4 for different transistors. In lieu of initializing a long testing phase, would anyone know off-hand of any JFETs with such low ON current? And heck, have any of you made this device before? Any advice you could throw down here would be appreciated.

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Both of those parts are easily sourced...

www.findchips.com

3. Benoit

Benoit

Jul 11, 2012
    Thanks man! It seems Quest Componants are the only distributor that may have the 2N5457. I had not heard of findchips.com until now, thanks for that.

4. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
  5. Benoit

Benoit

Jul 11, 2012
    Yeah I had a look through the list on findchips.com, the SMD one from Digikey is a wee bit too small. It may have been fun to try and figure out a way to use it, but I'll leave that to future projects.
    Thanks Kris.

Ask a Question