Connect with us

TI-85 Power Fault

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Nemesis, Aug 22, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Nemesis

Nemesis

Aug 22, 2011
    This is an issue that has been brought up on this site before (Google sent me to an ancient thread), but I'm not sure how to fix it myself.

My TI-85 has worked well for years: my brother had it through High School and so did I. I'm entering college and went to turn it on today, only to find that the power refuses to turn on. I tried new batteries with no luck. It hasn't been turned on in a few months (since last May) so this could have occurred at any point. The device has been banged around in the backpack a bit, but survived all of High school. Three months of inactivity shouldn't have caused a fault.

The bottom line:
    Device: TI-85
    Fault: Does not turn on
    Attempted fix: Changed Batteries

I appreciate any advice you can offer; I've become rather attached to this little old machine.

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
  3. madmanmike

madmanmike

Aug 29, 2011
    a few thing to try
    first with fresh (known to be good) batteries make sure the contrast isnt all the way down, i know it sounds stupid but i know someone who almost trashed one and that was all thats wrong

also you could try to reset it by taking out the aa's and the button battery and leaving all batteries out for awhile. (15 mins to be safe)
    note that a bad button shouldn't stop the calculator from functioning.

you may have already tried this (inspected and found it wouldn't help) but look where the batteries go in and check the surfaces of the springs and/or contacts that touch the batteries. if they're have corrosion (from a battery gone bad) you should be able to scrape them CAREFULLY with a razor or file them, wither way be careful.

i hope this helps.

Ask a Question