Connect with us

Through-hole & SMD components.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by HellasTechn, Sep 12, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. HellasTechn

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
    Dear friends. For some time now i have been using SMD components on my PCB's. The only thing i find hard to do is to find equivalent SMD to through-hole components. Isnt there a database or something telling us the code of the SMD's ?

For example i want to use a BD679 transistor on a PCB that i want to build only with smd components. How can i find the equivalent to BD679 in SMD ?

An other example is the 1N4007 diode. I googled 1N4007 smd and came up with the code M7. Shouldnt there be a table telling us the equivalence between through-hole and smd components ?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2015
  2. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
  3. Colin Mitchell

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
    A lot of things like a BD679 are much better in through-hole format because they dissipate a lot of heat and it is much easier to put them on a heatsink.
    1N4004 diodes are readily available in SM. Look on eBay and you can get 100 posted for $1.00
    The same with all other SM components. They are all available on eBay and I use SM for most of my projects in combination with other components. You have to be realistic.

Ask a Question