Connect with us

those can type caps

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by tempus fugit, Nov 6, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. tempus fugit

    tempus fugit Guest

    Hey all;

    You know those multi cap can style caps (in an aluminum or cardboard can)?
    They usually have 2 or more tabs on the bottom and some twist type tabs to
    hold the thing in. I'm assuming that the tabs on the bottom would be for
    each + terminal of the cap(s) and one of them would be the (-) terminal. Is
    this correct? Has anyone ever seen anything where the twist type tabs for
    securing the cap are the ground and the tabs on the bottom are all + ends of
    a cap? IOW, suppose there are 4 tabs on the bottom and 3 or 4 twist tabs to
    secure it. Is it possible that there are 4 separate caps with each of those
    tabs going to the + end of a cap?

  2. The caps in metal cans all use the can as a common negative, with each
    of the other internal(to the outside ring) being separate positive
    terminals of separate caps. The ones with cardboard tubes usually
    have the common negative coming out as a black wire (sometimes from
    the opposite end) with the other color coded leads that are the positives.
    It is possible, but the can is usually stamped with the values
    contained, and the symbol that is punched out of the phenolic wafer
    where the positive terminals exit, to tell you which section is which.
    One may have a square notch, one a triangle and one a half circle,
    for instance.
    Here are some examples of this type:
    These multi section caps were about as common as dirt in the tube days.
  3. tempus fugit

    tempus fugit Guest

    Thanks John.
  4. tempus fugit

    tempus fugit Guest

    Hi John;

    Just getting around to maybe relplacing a few caps. Is there any problem
    with mounting a cap like the JJ500V 50+50 (near the bottom of the link you
    sent me) on the outside of the chassis (as a replacement for and aluminum
    can cap)?

  5. I think it would work fine, as long as you can come up with a method
    to clamp it in place. That one does not appear to be twist tab
    mounted. I am assuming that both the chassis and the outside of the
    capacitor are both at ground potential.
  6. tempus fugit

    tempus fugit Guest

    Thanks John.

    There is a mounting clamp about midway down the page that looks like it
    should be good for keeping it in place. I'm pretty sure that the chassis is
    at ground, but I don't think it would matter using the clamp, would it?
  7. I am just worrying about voltages you can touch, and if the cap case
    and the chassis have to be isolated from each other.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day