Connect with us

This possible to make? (Led Light bar)

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by samsm255, Mar 28, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. samsm255

samsm255

Dec 29, 2012

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  2. samsm255

samsm255

Dec 29, 2012
    Im still doing measurements but for the leds. But it should 5 Leds high and maybe 20 or 10 across.Total leds will be 400 to 800 for the whole thing depending on how much space they take up.

Attached Files:

3. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    The answer is yes it's possible...

But, depending on how 'clean' you want the final design to be will play significantly in what level of experience you will need...

When you are talking about hundreds of LEDs, you can rats nest wire the thing and the wires will look like a bad hair day or you can design a custom PC board and have a professional looking and functioning design...

As for the flash options there are ways to do it without using a micro but for me personally I would use a micro as it will save parts count and hassle... But, if you are not setup or know how to program that could be a huge hurdle...

Is this something you are looking to do yourself or contract out? Do you have any experience at all?

4. samsm255

samsm255

Dec 29, 2012
    I don't have enough experience to calculate stuff and make the schematics of it. But I have enough experience to read schematics and put every thing together. So I would need help making the circuit. Im also on a budget so I need find the cheapest way make these flash.. And I was thinking about hooking each set of 50 leds in series with each other with the legs of the leds.

5. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    There is more to it then that, the flashing will require a circuit be designed...

Well that only works if you don't have to program a chip, or if someone does the programming for you...

Well if you want the patterns you suggested above that is not cheap option, if you just want it to flash there are cheaper paths to getting it done...

Well that would require about 175 volts, I'm guessing this is for a car? If so you can wire 3 LEDs in series max if you want a balanced system, or if you want sloppy kinda might work you could go with 4 in series...

6. samsm255

samsm255

Dec 29, 2012

If you had to guess a estimate. What would you say about the cost of make them 3 patterns I want?. Also I can drop down to only one flash pattern and that would the first one I showed. I like the looks of that one. Could that one be made with out going in to in bunch of high tech stuff/programming?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  7. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Wide open...

There are so many factors, are you asking about having a run of PC boards made? If so they are priced by the cubic cm or inch, size matters... Then you have to factor in the software you use to create the PC board, freeware or purchased? Now onto the micro, with no experience you could use something like the lower entry cost Arduino or PICaxe and plug it into the boards you design, or you could design the boards with a micro on them already... Micros are cheap, development platforms and programming hardware are a little costly in most cases... And last but not least labor, as a newbie you are likely to blow 100s of hours on a project like this, what is that worth?

At the end of the day, ou could cut almost all corners and do a transistor flip-flop circuit and just have an alternating pattern for maybe $25 if you bashed it together with point to point wiring... If you cut most corners but wanted multiple patterns you could probably build this yourself for about $50-75 with an Arduino and a few support chips, doing a ton of point to point wiring on a perf board, or all the way to the other side and spend thousands in hardware and software and get a professional production quality job... And there are 1001 in the middle options...

At the end of the day, I have seen people with tons of time do some crazy good work for low dollars, and I have seen hundreds of dollars and hours wasted with no results...

On the flip side if you were to provide more specifications and sizes I could give you a solid quote on having me do it for you, since I know what my skills are, how long it takes me to do stuff and how much I would spend out of pocket on this project...

I'm not discouraging you but there is a lot involved, your project is something I do believe a newbie could accomplish if they set their mind to it, but it's going to be an uphill battle, how fast and how economically you to climb that hill will vary...

8. samsm255

samsm255

Dec 29, 2012
    Feel like Im not going be able do this project. But could this be a option help me out?

I have this thing I got from Autozone few years ago called Pilot Automotive/Quadra LED strobe light.

I believe this thing is called a controller, Used to change the flash modes of 4 strobe lights.
    The controller has few flash modes it can do. I know for a fact it can do the one of the flash mode Iā€™m wanting this bar light to do. Could I use this controller to power and change my flash modes with? Photos below is thing I have

Side question: If I wanted to go to college to learn more about this stuff and electronics/ect what type of class would I need take?

Attached Files:

• c1.jpg
      c1.jpg
      File size:
      46.2 KB
      Views:
    • c2.jpg
      c2.jpg
      File size:
      87.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  9. samsm255

samsm255

Dec 29, 2012
    Really like know the answer the my bottom question

10. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    sam you could try electronic and programming to get you started in college.
    or you can use the web and just google a lot of info. you can start with the tutorial section on our website, then when you feel confident there move up and try other things.
    programming is easy to search for too. there are places like codecademy that teach kids as young as 9 the basics of programming for free and others that have experienced programmers gathering together to get ideas.

overall for your project the arduino might be something worth looking into. it teaches the basics of both in one go and is a stepping stone to what you are trying to achieve. I know that PIC has a similar product but could not tell you what its called or how big the following is. arduino has a name and a decent following so they may be the idea to start with. and yes I do recommend you start at the hello world sketch and go through all their tutorials.

11. samsm255

samsm255

Dec 29, 2012
    Thanks for the info, Ill look in to this stuff :)

12. sheldonstv

sheldonstv

Jul 17, 2007
    can easily be done with a handfull of parts-it isnt a black art as i have been designing and building this sort of thing for years .....

Ask a Question