Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Think Fax machine has been used by someone else

alfatec

Aug 13, 2009
Hi, Does anybody know if it is possible for someone to access my fax machine from outside of our school location and send a fax. We came into work this morning to receive a phone call from a company claiming to have received a fax order sent from our fax machine. When we checked the fax send and receive logs these were completely empty as if they had been wiped. On checking the document that had been sent it had definately been sent from our fax machine but the school was shut at the time. Just checking if this is possible, don't want to know how to do it just if it is possible then I will refer it to the police.

Many thanks:rolleyes:

gdb

Oct 17, 2009
Do you have a cleaning crew, or missing keys? Then again, the call may have been fake too, You should ask them to fax the order back to the fax number on top of the fax and see if it was really from your machine. That may also help ID the original sender ;-)

Diarmuid

Aug 29, 2009
Hi, I am an office equipment tech. They cant send a fax from your fax machine without being there. However they can input your name and number into their fax machine as their identificer and send a fax from their machine. This would then appear it came from your fax. A good check is to send a fax to some one (a friend) and see how your id appears on it printed from their machine and then compare it to the id on the fake fax document. Look for identical spellings including .,/ etc and the way the fax no appears... ie int code. Also check the font style of both ids as these usually vary between manufacturers of fax (toshiba samsung etc).
As for for your logs being wiped..this is strange..this might be done by unplugging it from power. you can check this again yourself and see if a power down wipes the journals. If not it would have to be done by a memory clear and some one would have to know how to do this from a technical view. It would be hard to do this from the user menu. What make of fax do you have?
Another option is to see if your telecoms company has any record of a call being made from your fax no at that night as if the fax was used it will appear on their logs (your account) as an outgoing call. Hope this helps.. let me know what you find.
Diarmuid