Connect with us

thevenin's help

Discussion in 'Electronics Homework Help' started by tradefix, Jan 27, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. tradefix

tradefix

Jan 27, 2012
    ok i have been given this as a part of my electonics assignment, ive spent ages pondering on it and have got nowhere. help would be greatly appreciated :)

Attached Files:

2. Laplace

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
    Thévenin's theorem for linear electrical networks states that any combination of voltage sources, current sources, and resistors with two terminals is electrically equivalent to a single voltage source and a single series resistor. The single voltage source is the open circuit voltage (no load) at the two terminals. The single series resistor is the resistance looking back into the network from the two terminals with all the sources zeroed, i.e., voltage sources are shorted while current sources are opened.

So your circuit has four terminals: 0, 1, 2, 3. Which two will you choose to be the terminals of your Thévenin equivalent network?

3. bob91343

bob91343

Mar 24, 2010
    I see it rather simply. The left and center resistors can be combined to a single series resistor equal to their parallel combination, excited by an AC source equal to the dividing ratio. Now you have a single source and a single resistor. So you have 6.67 Ohms in series with 33.33V source.

That is loaded by the 20 Ohms in series with the inductor. So you have, if you combine parts, 33.33 V in series with 26.67 Ohms and the inductor. Now with only a source, a resistor, and an inductor, you can compute the current.

4. jackorocko

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
    what? How can two resistors in series be equal to their parallel equivalent?

5. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Yes they can. Think of V1, R1 and R3 as a single voltage source with an equivalent output resistance given by the parallel connection of R1 and R3 AND you'll have to consider the reduced output voltage which is V1 divided by the voltage divider R1/R3.
    If you do the math, it comes out the same.

Harald

6. jackorocko

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
    Guess I will have to go back and re-read thevenin's theorem again. Because I am now lost on what I thought I knew. *shrugs*

Ask a Question