Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Thermostat with LCD Display

joeman112

Jun 11, 2011
Hi,
I'm definitely a beginner with electronics, but had some experience with PIC's and my Job is a software engineer (using DSP).
So I am looking at making a thermostat for a IR heat lamp (240V).
evcajs.jpg

A. Thermocouple used for feedback for D (heat lamp) & on LCD screen.
B. Thermocouple used for indication only on LCD Screen.
C. I realize i need some sort of component here. PIC will output a Discrete signal On/Off for heat lamp. Is this a relay to switch the 240V?
D. Heat Lamp.
E1 & E2. Would I need an ADC here for the thermocouple? or what form does the PIC receive the Thermocouple signal?

Please could you point out what components I would need to buy to amke this idea possible (i'm from the UK, but can search for component number or name).

I would be really grateful for any help/advice anyone can give me as this is a hobby project for a vivarium (reptile tank)

Many Thanks

Joe

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Have a quick search for "terrarium" using our search. We've had a remarkably similar discussion relating to solar power an heating/lighting.

It won't answer your questions but it may give you some ideas.

You will find that a thermocouple won't interface directly to a PIC. However you may be able to use another device (like a thermistor, or one of the many temperature sensing chips). If you need to use a thermocouple, then you will need something that is correctly compensated (cold junction) and outputs either a voltage proportional to temperature (you can then use the internal ADC), or a digital signal.

C could be a relay or a solid state relay, or a triac (careful with this).

joeman112

Jun 11, 2011
Shopping List

Steve,

Thanks very much for your help.
I have comprised a list of items below, Could you check that this is everything I need (besides cables and connectors as I can get them from work)
n1s17a.png

Many Thanks

Joe