Connect with us

Thermocouple Sensor Design

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by jrd78ep, Mar 23, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jrd78ep

jrd78ep

Mar 21, 2013
    Hello Guys…I am making a sensor design using 6 pairs thermocouple as a thermal sensor around the machine. I want the output goes like this…if only 1 over 6 thermocouples triggered a yellow led lit. And if more than 1 thermocouples triggered then a red led lit…Thanks a lot for sharing your ideas…

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    What do you mean by "triggered"?

Do you mean when a thermocouple junction exceeds a certain temperature?

There are some chips that will read the temperature from a thermocouple and allow it to be read by I2C (for example). These could be connected to a microcontroller that would handle the LED switching based on the readings from the 6 thermocouples.

3. jrd78ep

jrd78ep

Mar 21, 2013
    Thanks for the reply...yes you're right about "triggered" --something like the temp exceeds as normal...

Can you please name the ic so i can search it in google and also the microcontroller...Sorry im new in electronics...thanks.

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    MAX6675 is the one I had in mind, however an AD595 is another option (with a totally different interface)

You could interface either with (say) an Arduino or a PicAXE.

5. jrd78ep

jrd78ep

Mar 21, 2013
    Thanks Steve...i'll try to study the ICs first and then do the actual :)

Ask a Question