Connect with us

thermal energy absorption

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by netfrugal, Jun 20, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. netfrugal


    Jun 20, 2011
    I was taking an electronics course, way back in high school. Which was quite a while ago.

    I remember playing with a component that let me light up an LED. It wasn't really complicated. But it seemed to be just a small piece of metal (or something metallic), connected to wires. All I had to do was light a match and it place it below the metal part, which then lit up the LED. So it was some sort of thermal/radiation absorbing component.

    Does anyone know the technical name for this component?
  2. Resqueline


    Jul 31, 2009
    That's probably a Peltiér element. For electricity production purposes it needs cooling on the cold side in order to work, and to not get damaged.
    Before those semiconductor elements were invented I believe there were thermoelectric generators based on multiple metal alloy junctions (iron-constantan for example).
    Also try to look for the term thermopile.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day