Connect with us

thermal energy absorption

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by netfrugal, Jun 20, 2011.

1. netfrugal

netfrugal

Jun 20, 2011
    I was taking an electronics course, way back in high school. Which was quite a while ago.

I remember playing with a component that let me light up an LED. It wasn't really complicated. But it seemed to be just a small piece of metal (or something metallic), connected to wires. All I had to do was light a match and it place it below the metal part, which then lit up the LED. So it was some sort of thermal/radiation absorbing component.

Does anyone know the technical name for this component?

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    That's probably a Peltiér element. For electricity production purposes it needs cooling on the cold side in order to work, and to not get damaged.
    Before those semiconductor elements were invented I believe there were thermoelectric generators based on multiple metal alloy junctions (iron-constantan for example).
    Also try to look for the term thermopile.

Ask a Question