Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Theremin Questions

LordSputnik

Aug 11, 2011
Hey everyone!

I've just finished the AQA Electronics A-Level course this year, and am hoping to start studying Electronic Engineering at Uni this September.

I've been looking for a project to do over the summer break, and decided to work on building a theremin. At this point, I realized how little electronics was actually in the A-Level! We had done quite a lot of DC circuit design, but next to nothing on AC theory and inductors in particular.

Since then, I've done quite a bit of research into AC stuff, but I have a few questions about the following circuit:

pe1967.gif

I've managed to work out that the subsystem in the top left is an oscillator, with the antenna functioning as a variable capacitor connected in parallel with the variable inductor, and I think I understand fairly well how it works. The block below that looks quite similar, so I'm assuming that's another oscillator. The bit on the bottom right looks like some sort of power amplifier, using the two JFETs.

As for the other parts, and how they all combine, I haven't a clue. I know theremins work using heterodyning to produce a new signal from a combination of signals, so I guess that the signal from the pitch oscillator is mixed with the signal from the fixed oscillator below it, to produce an audio frequency signal that's the difference between the two signals.

Could anyone explain how the volume control works, and give an overview of how the blocks fit together.

Many Thanks,
Ben

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Q1 is a variable frequency oscillator, Q2 is a fixed oscillator. these are mixed in Q3 to produce an audio signal. Q6 is used as a variable resistance to adjust the volume and Q7 acts as an amplifier with a gain of one, giving a low output impedance.
Q4 is another variable frequency oscillator with output fed to tuned circuit C22/L4. As the frequency is varied the amplitude will vary and is rectified with D1/Q6 to control the gate voltage of Q6 so altering the volume.
Rock on.

LordSputnik

Aug 11, 2011
Wow. Brilliant :)

Two more questions:

1. Won't the output from the tuned circuit be a sinusoidal wave? If so, is this smoothed by one of the capacitors before being fre to the gate of Q6? Would that be the purpose of C15?

2. Does the type of oscillator used in this circuit have a name?

Many Thanks for such a clear and speedy reply!

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The voltage across C22/L4 will be a sine wave but this is rectified by D1 and Q5 to produce a voltage across R20, this is smoothed by C15 to drive the gate of Q6. Q6 is used as a variable resistor.

I do not know the name of the oscillator, it is not a Hartley since that has a tapped coil. perhaps it is a Colpitts. Try Wikipedia.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Do you have a circuit for the original theramin? It seems to be quite complicated to make using valve technology.
What frequency does it run at? Does it blast out all radios within 10 miles?

LordSputnik

Aug 11, 2011
I'm afraid I don't, I've seen it before though. I picked this one because it seemed much simpler, though hopefully it's produce the same result.