Maker Pro
Maker Pro

The shape of schematic components

camerart

Aug 18, 2010
Hi,
I'm making a schematic, with a 44PIN PIC and I want to place 4x 11strip connectors so that I can connect to each pin on the PIC, on a test PCB. For me to connect PIN1 to PIN1 on connector 1, then PIN2 to PIN2 on connector 1 and so on, it will be a tangle of wires. Why aren't the schematic components the same shape as the PCB ones? This would allow each connector to be placed on each side of the component and connect directly and look a lot neater.
Camerart.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Are you referring to the DWG or the physical layout?
I don't quite see what your problem is?
Picmicro have several proto type boards starting with a very basic one, they include schematics and physical layout you could copy if necessary..
M.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
There is no standard way to place the pins on ICs in a schematic. Some are layed out like the physical device. Others are layed out more by function.

Some devices come is diferent packages, eg. through-hole and SMT with different pin layouts.

You can always make your own symbol the way you want it.

Bob

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
If referring to the DWG, what schematic drawing package are you using?
M.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
The primary role of a schematic is to show the electrical relationships among the signals. It is not to show the physical relationships among the pins. The two are generally related, and sometimes a schematic is very close to the physical layout. But never assume that the pins on a schematic symbol are in the same order as the pins on the device. In my libraries I have 5 different 555 symbols and four different CD4060 symbols. For large devices like a CPLD, I split the component into a group of several symbols linked together.

ak

camerart

Aug 18, 2010
There is no standard way to place the pins on ICs in a schematic. Some are layed out like the physical device. Others are layed out more by function.

Some devices come is diferent packages, eg. through-hole and SMT with different pin layouts.

You can always make your own symbol the way you want it.

Bob
Hi B,
I like your answer best, as it fits more with my idea of what I want, so Ill make anew component in the shape I wish.
Thanks, all.
C.