Maker Pro
Maker Pro

The organ project

EK61

Jan 5, 2014
My neighbour had some old organs in his shed and donated one to me that did not work. I planned on attempting to fix it or using it for a project. It is a Lowrey Citation Console Theatre.

The power light comes on and the beat light flashes but there is no sound. I've read this can be capacitor plague or fuses in the power supply.

Since I have no real interest in organs, I'd likely sell it if I were able to repair it. If it was beyond my abilities however, I thought of an interesting project idea:

Since the unit is nice piece of woodwork, with many chunky switches with a great feel to them, I thought I could strip the internals and put a computer in there. I could use an Arduino to utilise all the switches, and connect the tape recorder as well (likely will require replacing with a standalone unit in the same cavity, with input and outputs for the PC). I was planning to put a monitor on the top where the sheet music holder is, and replacing one of the keyboards with the computers keyboard and mouse, and the other with a Yamaha electric keyboard we have, connected to the PC (if it fits). This would make it the ultimate music computer.

Just thought I'd put this out there for suggestions or advice. I'll look at the power supply's caps and fuses when I get a chance. (carefully)

brevor

Apr 9, 2013
I used to work for Lowrey many years ago. If you look under the keyboard shelf there should be a plate with the model number. Let us know, maybe I can find where the sound is controlled from.

EK61

Jan 5, 2014
I used to work for Lowrey many years ago. If you look under the keyboard shelf there should be a plate with the model number. Let us know, maybe I can find where the sound is controlled from.
Ahh that's where the model number is. Thank-you for pointing that out, I'll take a look tomorrow (when it's day time)

EK61

Jan 5, 2014
GAK25-H. I also just found some documents sitting on the top of it, my neighbour must have found. 2 booklets labelled schematics, and a letter from Lowrey service in reply to a request for schematics (addressed to who I assume is the owner before my neighbour)

brevor

Apr 9, 2013
Good,sounds like you are pretty well set then. The biggest cause of sound problems with old organs are dirty switch contacts. I would try turning on a voice for the upper keyboard such as horn or trumpet and hold down a few keys, while holding the keys try working some of the tab switches repeatedly on and off. Especially the ones controlling the leslie and main speakers, this may rub some of the dirt off the contacts and you may start hearing some sound.
P.S. The organ you have was made sometime around 1973 to 1975.