Maker Pro
Maker Pro

The legality of cloning, simulating and decompiling

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
I went to a garage sale. I found a really great paintball gun there for only a few dollars. I couldn't pass it up. I went home and found that these new paintball guns have small circuit boards that are powered by a 9v battery that allows them to fire in rapid succession or like an automatic rifle. The problem with this one is that the board is coated with a kind of transparent hard plastic stuff that I think is all that is left of an 104 SMD that has vaporized for some reason. I cannot get a replacement, and this device is not a user device, and cannot be reworked by an amature like me. I think they were computer manufactered, and maybe even computer designed. Anyway, my idea is that using arduino in a belt pack, and a simulator clone program, designed to function as the solenoids firing brain that the little gun might be fun again.

Now that big word "LEGAL". Its against the law to rework patented and copywritten designs. And Its also copyright infringement to build simulators that are like the works of large companies. So I need a bargaining chip, a closet remedy, or a system that someone else designed that is easy to build...
I tell you, this fun is really getting hard to get... I thought that maybe, in the case of a design that is no longer available to purchase, that building my own would be the best option. My own fault if I do something illegal... Its fried, so much for cloning. Its a simple solenoid firing device, don't need to know much decompiling, and simulating the exact system they built, is going to be impossible, so I can't really copy it, anyway I want to make some changes to it.

I am starting with a 10k resistor to ground, and working form there... heh heh! here I go again!
So (ahem -clears throat) the big chip is very probably an OP amp, and there also a little chip, which is probably part of a voltage regulator that divides the volts for use to light a multi-colored LED that tells what condition the weapon is currently in (this would be nice in a night HUD) to make the project fancy an unhinged. So I would need a little HUD that fits in the corner of a goggles, a nice belt pack with extra storage for ammo, and some info if I can get it on the solenoid, its power handling capability and just what I am getting into here...

These use a rapid fire accessory in the ball feed department to stuff the balls in as fast as the device shoots (18 times a second) and I want to slow that down so that the gravity feed will work with full auto.
It also has a 3 shot successsion system, that shoots 3 balls one after the other. That also will require a slowdown for the gravity feed to work. there is always the off hand chance that I can only get the arduino to fire once at a time.....(kind of an arduino-esque thing) I wanted to share this thought, stay open minded as far as comments are concerned, and not wind up in a forested night environment somewhere on some secluded island competing in some game I am completely ignorant of. thanks for all your ideas, selfless gravity boat thought and clearly obvious missing necessities in these firstround splotch and splat practice weapons.