Maker Pro
Maker Pro

The Journey of an Electronics Noob

Chucksta

Feb 21, 2012
I'm a Noob, yep a total Noob, but that will change :)

Well, earlier today I found out what the role an atom plays in the creation of electricity. Besides that I really am a noob. I know diddly squat about electronics, so here I am to glean some knowledge from all who cares to share, and get me on my electronics hobbyist way.

I'm currently getting to grips with the fundamentals, thanks to the simplistic and commical approach of a dummies book. That's where I found out about atoms!

Plus making good use of some online guides/tutorials:

Electronics
http://library.thinkquest.org/16497/home/

Soldering tutorials

Yesterday I ordered a suitable (I hope!) soldering iron plus required equipment:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/25w-soldering-iron-type-xs-4063

I already have a larger soldering iron, but that is not suitable for circuit boards (far too big). And it's been about 20 years since I last used it., Therefore a good bit of practise is needed.

As suggested by donkey in a previous thread of mine (Introductions), I'll be sure to get some kits to work on, but before then I'm just looking to get some fundemental knowledge stuck into my noggin (head), then as suggested by steve, throw together a simple "Hello World" system consisting of a "battery, a breadboard, a LED and a resistor" and a microswitch or PIC (I guess I should order those ready for the weekend). Probably a good sign that I know what all of those are except for the PIC and resister.

Hopefuly, I will progress to robotics, which is an area I covered whilst studying AI at Sussex (near Brighton, England, UK), although that was mostly from a programming perspective.

Right, now to see what's next for that atom in the dummies book :)

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
It looks like an updated combo package of Livewire and PCB wizard. The differences for standard and pro edition are pretty much identical.

DO NOT waste your money on this. Livewire is extremely buggy and has absolutely no scope for expansion or user-defined elements. I bought the pro edition last year for more than this and its absolutely terrible. I only use it for making diagrams because the simulation is so bad. There are plenty of free programs out there that would do a better job. I might even write one one of these days (if I ever get round to it)

Furthermore, maplin are not to be trusted. They are way overpriced and have a tendancy to mistreat and wrongly package items (I posted some pics around here somewhere)

Chucksta

Feb 21, 2012
It looks like an updated combo package of Livewire and PCB wizard. The differences for standard and pro edition are pretty much identical.

DO NOT waste your money on this. Livewire is extremely buggy and has absolutely no scope for expansion or user-defined elements. I bought the pro edition last year for more than this and its absolutely terrible. I only use it for making diagrams because the simulation is so bad. There are plenty of free programs out there that would do a better job. I might even write one one of these days (if I ever get round to it)

Furthermore, maplin are not to be trusted. They are way overpriced and have a tendancy to mistreat and wrongly package items (I posted some pics around here somewhere)

Thanks, I most definitely won't waste my money :)