Maker Pro
Maker Pro

The Final Act

SparkyCal

Mar 11, 2020
So, I have managed to build an overdrive pedal, complete with a real stomp switch and a LED that lights when the effect is active.

The only thing left to figure out, is how to include an A/C plug that, when plugged into an adapter, cuts off the 9 volt battery power, and runs on the AC adapter instead.

I guess I need to find a schematic for it. Also, does anyone know what the female plug is called that would sit in the pedal, so that an AC Adapter can plug into it? I'll need to buy those and wire them in.

Thank you

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
That is very simple and nicely explained here.
Although they call it an "AC adaptor jack" and I call them DC barrel jacks.
upload_2021-7-15_10-12-11.jpeg
You probably want to use an AC to DC adaptor as all the conversion and rectification is done for you.
An old router 9V or 12V adapter will work just great.

Another example

Martin

Last edited:

SparkyCal

Mar 11, 2020
Thank you VB. I will order the Amazon ones for two reasons

1. Digi keys looks great but last time I tried ordering something, I was facing a $20 surcharge on a $12 order. I should try it again though

2 I own Amazon stock so always try to support it

SparkyCal

Mar 11, 2020

if I bought from digi keys

Shipping Method
Estimated Transit Incoterms Price
FedEx International Priority 3 Day(s) CPT (Duty, customs, and taxes due at time of delivery) $20.00
UPS Worldwide Saver 3 Day(s) CPT (Duty, customs, and taxes due at time of delivery) $20.00
DHL Express International 3 Day(s) CPT (Duty, customs, and taxes due at time of delivery) $20.00
Priority Mail Express International 10 Day(s) CPT (Duty, customs, and taxes due at time of delivery)

A $10 order for example, would cost me 30. Amazon has free delivery for Prime members

VenomBallistics

Aug 30, 2018
if I bought from digi keys

Shipping Method
Estimated Transit Incoterms Price
FedEx International Priority 3 Day(s) CPT (Duty, customs, and taxes due at time of delivery) $20.00
UPS Worldwide Saver 3 Day(s) CPT (Duty, customs, and taxes due at time of delivery) $20.00
DHL Express International 3 Day(s) CPT (Duty, customs, and taxes due at time of delivery) $20.00
Priority Mail Express International 10 Day(s) CPT (Duty, customs, and taxes due at time of delivery)

A $10 order for example, would cost me 30. Amazon has free delivery for Prime members
We need to get you hooked up with a good Canadian parts house.
I find some stuff on Amazon.
It's better than RadioShack ever was, but still not 420 pages of opamps good.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Amazon sells clothing and a few cheap electronic parts with no specs and frequently they do not even know who made the junk.
I buy most reliable electronic parts from Digikey or Newark and if I order before 8:00PM it is delivered to me in Canada the next morning.

SparkyCal

Mar 11, 2020
I will look into Newark. Digi keys is not an option based on delivery fees

VenomBallistics

Aug 30, 2018
I will look into Newark. Digi keys is not an option based on delivery fees
if allied didnt have a spaghetti site, they'd be my go to due to location ... anything i order will be in hand the next day, even at the cheapest rates.
You, being on the other side of the northern boarder, probably couldn't justify most hobby quantity orders from most US houses.
You DO however, have some really decent tube shops when you evolve that far.
In the meantime ... Amazon turned out to be good for PT2399's .... You might look into those chips yourself.
A digital variant of the old BBD's, easier to use and more abundant in the market.

Last edited: