Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Testing lighbulb using multimeter

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
as long as the bulb is good, then you should get a reading less then OL across the two bumps on the bottom. If the bulb is blown, then you will OL and you know the bulb is toast.

With incandescent bulbs the resistance value is not very important. It will either work or not, this is why I use the diode test feature on the meter. It will give an audible sound when there is continuity and no sound when there is no continuity. That's all that matters with incandescent bulbs for them to work or not. Makes it easy, because then you don't have to look at the meter, you can concentrate on holding the probes on the correct place.

zillah

Mar 4, 2012
It will either work or not, this is why I use the diode test feature on the meter. It will give an audible sound when there is continuity and no sound when there is no continuity.
Hi
Today I have done this test with two fridge light bulb same as the one below :

http://www.wickes.co.uk/philips-40w-ses-cooker-hood-bulb-pk2/invt/218920/

One light bulb burned out for sure and other is working (for sure it is working)

on DMM Push the select key to .))))) continuity (not --<I- diode) try to test both fridge lights bulb, non of them the buzzer sounded!!!!!!!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
on DMM Push the select key to .))))) continuity (not --<I- diode) try to test both fridge lights bulb, non of them the buzzer sounded!!!!!!!

Use a resistance range. Say 2K, or something like that.

Testing the 2 bulbs should show different results. If they don't, you're doing something wrong.

Low wattage bulbs may have a resistance high enough that "continuity" buzzers don't sound.

zillah

Mar 4, 2012
Hi Steve

On DMM I tried the resistance and I use select ohms symbol (not kilo ohms nor Mega ohms)
Yes on the working fridge light bulb DMM read 106 ohms and on the burned out it read OL.

Now my query why continuity didn't work ????

Regards

siggy

Mar 3, 2012
Turn on continuity touch probe tips together what happens?

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
Hi
Today I have done this test with two fridge light bulb same as the one below :

http://www.wickes.co.uk/philips-40w-ses-cooker-hood-bulb-pk2/invt/218920/

One light bulb burned out for sure and other is working (for sure it is working)

Some Multimeter unable to emit sound if measured resistance was below required resistance for buzzer sound or continuity test. Mine was 40 Ohm. That is, it will measure 106 ohms for working bulb but will not emit beep sound.

Last edited:

zillah

Mar 4, 2012
Some Multimeter unable to emit sound if measured resistance was below required resistance for buzzer sound or continuity test. Mine was 40 Ohm. That is, it will measure 106 ohms for working bulb but will not emit beep sound.
Okay that makes sense.
But when I checked the resistance for the working light bulb it was 106 ohms (I have checked the manual for my DMM, I couldn't find minimum value for resistance for the buzzer to beep ), then I would expect the continuity test should beep for the working bulb , but that didn't happen !!!!!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
then I would expect the continuity test should beep for the working bulb , but that didn't happen !!!!!

I think the reason it didn't has been explained twice, once in one of your quotes.

Here goes #3

The continuity buzzer will not sound if the resistance exceeds some value (and only your instruction manual can tell you that value). The resistance of a low wattage bulb is evidentially greater than this value, so no beeping or buzzing.