Connect with us

test equipment

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by [email protected], Dec 15, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guest

    Hi all,

    I have a signal which I need to measure during fabrication. The signal
    is a 2.88 MHz crystal and I need to know the signal level and

    A scope is a great device to do this but I really only need a display
    with frequency and signal level.

    A frequency counter would do the trick for the frequency measurement
    but can not locate one of these with a signal level indication.

    Any thoughts?

  2. Signal strength < 15dBm ?

    This would work fine assuming you can use the low-impedance input.
    Otherwise, use a scope.
  3. Jim Yanik

    Jim Yanik Guest

    wrote in
    Get a spectrum analyzer like a TEK 2712/2714 that incorporates an accurate
    freq. counter. It will also show the purity of your signal.
    You could use a shortwave receiver locked onto or near the frequency,
    use the BFO or SSB mode to beat against the signal. A PC soundcard could
    measure the frequency error. If you need to know what direction the
    error is, tune lower by 1.0 KHz and measure the difference frequency, if
    it goes below 1 KHz the crystal is drifting low, higher than 1 KHz, it
    is drifting high etc.

    Some receivers have software signal strength meters that can be
    calibrated to give you a signal level indication.

    Look at some of the ICOM receivers for PC CIV control.



    Joe Leikhim K4SAT
    "The RFI-EMI-GUY"

    "Follow The Money" ;-P
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day