Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Tesla coil-Will this circuit work?

Kari

Apr 2, 2014
Hi there. I'm pretty nooby when it comes to electronics; no formal classes or anything, I pretty much taught myself everything I know.

I drew this up and would like advice before I go out and buy parts for it, it's a Tesla Coil powered by 12v DC.

Also I forgot a switch. It'll be in the actual machine obviously.

IMG_03495.JPG

Last edited:

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
How much current are you planning to push through that LED? What provisions have you made for tuning the final high-voltage transformer for coupled resonance? Although you have shown a core for the final transformer, can we assume that it will be an air core?

Kari

Apr 2, 2014
Unless PVC pipe can be considered to be a core, yes. I guess there's a difference between solid core and air core schematic diagrams, I learn something new every day :). This is going to be a small desk-sized unit that throws small streamers to a grounded conductor rod, it's supposed to be powered by AA batteries, so assuming it retains the full 1.5 amps per battery (which it won't), somewhere below 12. I already have an LED rated for the DC portion of the circuit. Also the fine-tuning of the high voltage circuit is what I need help with, I have virtually no experience there.

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The LED in that position doesn't serve any other purpose than wasting power or burning out.

Either remove it entirely or place it across the battery with a suitable resistor as an indication the circuit is powered.

Kari

Apr 2, 2014
the LED was intended to serve as a power on indicator, and has a built in resistor, but I'll take your advice on that and omit it entirely.

What do you mean by across the battery? Like place it on the opposite side of the circuit from the battery?

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
What do you mean by across the battery? Like place it on the opposite side of the circuit from the battery?

Like this.....

attachment.php

Cheers
Dave

Attachments

• LED1.GIF
    LED1.GIF
    2.3 KB · Views: 207

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Hi Kari and welcome to the Electronics Point forums :)

What frequency is the oscillator supposed to be operating at?

What type of transformers do you plan to use for each stage? Can you upload pictures of them?

To attach images to your post, click Go Advanced and click the paper clip icon in the tool bar above the text window. Click Browse, select the image (it must be smaller than about 140 kilobytes) and click OK. Repeat for any other pictures. Then click Upload. When the files all appear in a new section called "Current Attachments", scroll to the bottom of the dialog box and click OK.

Kari

Apr 2, 2014
I'm not really sure. Is there an equation I can use to figure out what frequency should be used? As for the transformers I'm not sure, probably neon sign transformers or something out of an old television set. I was actually sort of hoping some people here could tell me what parts to use and how to set this up better. I'm inexperienced with HV circuits.

Also thanks Dave :)

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
You could start by Googling make a Tesla coil. I found quite a few hits.