Connect with us

tesla circuit questions?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by jimmyhackers, Mar 7, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jimmyhackers

jimmyhackers

Mar 7, 2013
    http://jimmyprophet.wordpress.com/2011/0/page/13/

the diagram on this website. works to an extent, ive built it. i can harvest completely free energy from radiowaves.

the circuits still in its breadboard phase. it can light and led for all of half a second before the juice runs out and it needs to recharge for another 10-20 seconds.

as far as i can understand its essentially a complicated bridge rectifier with capacitors.
    radiowaves enduce a tiny messy ac voltage in the antenna and this is converted into a small dc voltage and stored in the capacitors.

ive got about 2 meters of very fine enamaled wire for my antenna and it charges at around 0.1v per second. this rate slows down the larger the voltage gets.

very poor production so far. i just wondered if anyone had some tips on this kind of thing.

i was thinking more antennas with adjacent capacitor arrangemnt in series in the first part of the circuit?

could i use magnets to direct or intensify the radiowaves into my antenna?

so yeah, if anyone has any ideas or improvements or cool antenna designs let me know

my aim is to have enough juice to constantly run a very tiny led/light or small fan

thanks in advance

james

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Yes, it's extremely cheap.

And produces almost zero power.

Solar power will be cheaper (and possibly be more effective than this (even at night))

3. john monks

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
    You would do beter with about 30 meters of wire and a ground connect to a water pipe. The ground should connect to any lead of your two output capacitors.
    I did this when I was a kid. I used a tuned circuit and a germanium diode and about 30 meters of wire. I got about 2 volts at about 2 milliamps. That is about 4 milliwatts.
    Boy was I excited.

4. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    That's pretty impressive!

5. jimmyhackers

jimmyhackers

Mar 7, 2013
    sorry repeat message deleted

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  6. jimmyhackers

jimmyhackers

Mar 7, 2013
    thanks for your replies so far.

ive come up with a better circuit. when i combine them in series or parrallel however i experience a voltage drop?

is this normal? am i actually losing power? or is it all stored in there somewhere?
    i figure a good 20 of my circuits will make enough for an led powersource

thanks in advance for your help

jim

7. jimmyhackers

jimmyhackers

Mar 7, 2013
    incase your wondering my new circuit is essentially a 4diode bridge rectifier with a 2m coiled antenna and copper nail earth attached to one of the ac inputs the other input is left unused. this has been housed in a pen and i get 0.4v when i stab it in the ground.

i just need some info on how to combine their multiple small dc currents. wether theres a better way than just series or parrallel attachment. like some made combineing circuit

8. jimmyhackers

jimmyhackers

Mar 7, 2013
    combining multiple small dc currents?

hi guys

wondering if theres a better way to connect multiple small fluctuating dc volatge generating ciruits in any other way than in series or parrallel to obtain my desired volatge and current.

each circuits around 0.4v at the milliamp scale.

is there a such a thing as a combine"ing" circuit

9. john monks

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
    Yes you can. You can hook up several full wave circuits with long antennas that can rang from 50 cycles all the way up to gigahertz. But here is the thing. On a single plot of land you only get so much of that electromagnetic radiation. A powerful radio satiation typically puts out several kilowatts and that's spread out all over the country. The earth and outer space is going to absorb most of that energy. Unless you live right next to a powerful radio station you would be luck to even be able to light a flashlight bulb. And if you observed much more the radio people would be mad for messing up their radio signal.
    I thinly Steve is right. You would be far better off with a solar panel.
    Now if you want to experiment and fing out natural voltage gradients in the atmosphere you can put up a long wire high off the ground and get some voltage. I know one a mature radio station that claims to get about 300 volt on his big loop antenna but the current is very low. Have fun.

10. jimmyhackers

jimmyhackers

Mar 7, 2013
    thanks for the info

i already have solar panels on my roof, and a hot water panel. its full up. i live in sutton coldfield in the uk. my house is near some power lines and a large broadcast tower array. ive done the trick with flurscent tubes under the lines and its pretty cool. my house isnt directly underneath but i think ther should be enough energy in the air for demonstration purposes.

i was hoping id be able to scavenge enough to blink an led. if i manually switch the first circuit every 5 seconds i can get an led to light up. likewise for my second circuit if i add a single cap across the output.

i was just wondering how to do the manual switching part with such a low power available.?

i was hoping a resistor/cap arrangement but all i can find so far are 555 timing chip circuits and i dont know if the 555 chip will run on such low power. will it?

also i was wondering by what factors determine what radiowaves/energy i can recieve?
    will exact multiples of my circuit only recieve a cerctain bandwidth cancelling out there effect when placed physically near each other?. whats the best way to maximise my bandwidth that im taking energy from?
    i figure the narrower my band the less enregy in it so i need the largest bands possible, how do i achieve this?

the other concept i was contemplating was the actual nature of electromagnetic waves.
    at the moment the waves im trying to harness are a mishmash of all difernt length sizes and directions. i need some way of chanelling them and making them uniform before harvesting them.
    seeing as you cant bend them im buggard. they only appear to bend when going from one density of material to another. so i need something along the line of high pressure vacum with some gold in the middle as an antenna.......: S

are they any other ways to bend or channel electromagnetic waves? spinning magnets, electromagnets etc....

thanks again for your help

11. john monks

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
    Because you want to salvage energy from such a large spectrum of frequencies I would think that a long wire and a bridge rectifier arrangement of schottky diodes is in order. Most of the power would come from your utility power line so the antenna should run parallel with the utility line and the wire should be high up. One thing scares me about this. If by some chance the utility line should arc to your antenna there will be no more jimmyhackers. I don't know how close I would get but hopefully your antenna will be at least 30 meters away. The best antenna would most likely go around the parameter of the property. You could use four antennas for the corners of the property and four bridge rectifiers with the outputs connected together.
    The power lines scare me. They kill people. I would keep a good distance between me and them.
    MOSFET and NAND gates draw practically no power and would probably be the most practical thing you could build an oscillator out of. And they can drive an LED directly.
    A small gauge wire would be fine for the antenna. The bridge rectifier should be fed from the antenna and a good ground and a water pipe.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  12. jimmyhackers

jimmyhackers

Mar 7, 2013
    haha thanks for the info.

i dont think im close enough for the lines to arc. there in view from my loft skylight, but a 5 min walk away, very much like the very large radio antennas i can see also.

my bedroom is my loft so i dont think i can get much higher with my antennas, and what sucks is my neighbourhood is banned from having external aerials.

ive heard about using schotkey diodes as they have the lowest voltage drop. which would be the best to use? can you suggest a specific diode part number? i havnt much luck in finding the tiniest diode with the least volatge drop.

also.......i heard when tesla used this circuit his version of diodes were essentially silicon crystals in vaccum tube? is this true?

another thing ive noticed is. if i use a common earth (plug socket earth) on multiples of my circuit in parrallel/series i get a voltage drop. however when i take my circuit outside and use a seperate earth for each i do not get a voltage drop when the circuits are joined up. (my seperate earths consists of a 12" copper nails stuck in my lawn)

any explanations for what going on there? its seems a seperate earth for each helps when connecting mulitiples of the circuits. im also getting almost the same amount of voltage outside at ground level using a bodge earth as what i get inside ,2 storeys up with a proper earth.

thanks again for the info
    his sites great because of people like you, idea bouncing is very productive

13. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    You do not need your aerial wire anywhere near to arcover in order to be dangerous.
    Farm electric fences are instructed not to be run parallel to the overhead lines. The voltages are very high and considerable voltage can be obtained by the interwire capacitance.

You do not give a circuit diagram for your multiple earth system. You may be measuring voltage gradients in the ground.

14. jimmyhackers

jimmyhackers

Mar 7, 2013
    sorry i havnt. it wouldnt be that exciting just a load of bridge rectifiers in parrallel and series. nothing you havnt seen before.

also as far as i remember if i did notate an earth to each one in a circuit diagram. in circuit diagram speak wouldnt they essentially all mean join them all up and send to a single earth.

ill take some pictures tommorrow if it isnt raining. but its essentially a biro pen as a housing. inside is 4 diodes. ive wrapped about 2 meter of thin enamalled wire around the outside of the pen. and sticking out where the pen would normally write is a copper nail as an earth.

i jab it in the ground and i get some power, around 0.4v. If i jab another one in the ground next to it and connect them in series i get 0.8v. if i connect them in parrallel i still get 0.4v and i imagine im getting around double amperage.

if i take these two pens inside. and connect one to my plugs earth i get 0.4v if i take the second pen and connect this to the same plug earth and then try attaching the circits in series and parrallel. i get a volatge of 0.6ishV and 0.3V respectively

like i said ill take some pics when i can so you get an idea.

it just seems like i get diminishing results using the common ground. but when i give each circuit its own earth grounding rod (coppernail). they stack up far more effectively when placed in parrallel and series.

i think i need to replicate about 20 - 30 of theses pens and see how high i can take the voltage/amperage.

15. jimmyhackers

jimmyhackers

Mar 7, 2013
    heres a circuit diagram i rushed together in paint.

imagine each one of these shoved in my above mentioned biro pen.

i am yet to try this circuit with a seperate earthing rod for each antenna (two copper nails stickign out the pen). this may also prove to be a good idea taking into account my improved results using multiple earthing rods

[​IMG]

thanks again for all your help

16. john monks

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
    This may do but what I had in mind is that antenna 1 or antenna 2 be replaced with a good solid ground like a water pipe or a long ground rod or several earthing rods.

17. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Or both ends to grounds and tap telluric currents :)

18. jimmyhackers

jimmyhackers

Mar 7, 2013
    i have tried many varitions of the above circuit i drew. this arrangment worked out the best (highest volatge) so far. ill try and explain my findings so far

if i swap the earth from antenna one to antenna two the volatge stays identical.
    if i remove just the ground i get around 0.04v
    if i remove just one antenna i get around 0.36v
    if i have one antenna removed and i swap the ground from removed antenna point to opposite (still attached)antenna point i get the same 0.36v
    if i use a common ground i get 0.14v (this essentially just bridges the middle of the circuit)

i am yet to try two seperate grounds on this circuit and will post my results when i do
    i will also clamp it to my water pipes as an earth see what happens.

thanks for your interest guys, i will read up on them telluric currents.

Ask a Question