Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Terminal Block vs. Soldering

Lei Reyes

Jul 2, 2014
Hi guys, just want to know when to prefer soldering over using a terminal block when connecting wires? And vice versa . Does it have something to do with the length of the wire that you are connecting ?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
for me an easy test point
1) a place where meter probes can access the circuit
2) a place where cables between circuit sections can easily be disconnected to isolate one section from another

Dave

Lei Reyes

Jul 2, 2014
how about the transmission of data between the wires connected by the terminal block or the soldered one? Which do you think will better allow the transmission ?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
what sort of signals and what frequency ?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hi guys, just want to know when to prefer soldering over using a terminal block when connecting wires? And vice versa . Does it have something to do with the length of the wire that you are connecting ?
Personally, if it's hard to reach or will never need to be serviced, I solder it.
If I am working on something that is 'modular' in nature, I put any modular components on a terminal block. Makes testing and replacing nodes much easier.
Overall though, it depends on the purpose... The physical location, environment, and the signal/power you are dealing with.