Connect with us

tens machine

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by jellybean77, May 7, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jellybean77

jellybean77

May 7, 2012
    I have a tens machine ( retail name circulation booster) thats used to treat nerve damage.
    the power lead is 240v input to 5v output but i accidently plugged in a 9v output lead and it stopped working.
    i opened it up and it seems i have burned out what looks like a resistor, It is green in colour and it has what looks like a gold band at one end and a brown band at the other.
    The middle is badly burned so icannot make out the others.
    I was going to try and get another one and have it soldered in but the guy who is going to do it says i need to get the part ?
    Any help would be great.
    Thanks in advance for any input.

2. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    [​IMG]
    those bands give us the resistance value. as shown above. to have a precise match we will need a pic and all 5 colour bands, all i can tell you at this point is it is either a resistor with a starting number 1(1k,10k, 0.1k.... unknown) with +/- 5% tolerance or if the end band is yellow not gold then the starting number is 4(once again don't know if its 4k, 0.4k) with a +/- 1% tolerance
    sorry i can't help you more

3. jellybean77

jellybean77

May 7, 2012
    I kind of thought that might be the case, Does it matter what colour the body of the resistor is or is it insignificant ?

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    do you have a multimeter ?
    try measuring the resistor in and out of circuit
    you may find altho it has got hot it may still be ok

Body colour is often used to indicate a type of resistor .... metal film, carbon, hi voltage etc

Dave

5. jellybean77

jellybean77

May 7, 2012
    Thanks for the reply dave, tested it in and out of circuit and it doesent seem to have any resistance at all.

6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    ok no prob

how about taking a very sharp closeup pic and see if us guys can help you identify the value :)

Dave

7. jellybean77

jellybean77

May 7, 2012
    Here is a pic of the burned resistor :eek:

Attached Files:

8. markm6164

markm6164

Jan 22, 2012
    This is a long shot but can you look around the board and try find another resistor matching the colours you have on this on? Manufactures like to reduce part counts as much as possible to reduce cost. Chances are that same value resistor is used somewhere else on the board.

9. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Could it be an inductor? WHat does the silk screen identify it as? R11, L2, etc...

10. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    yeah its definately an inductor

I would be trying a 100 uH one in there just as a trial, Its not going to do any harm
    that would be brown black brown. We can see the first colour ( the one on the right is brown) the silver on the left is the tolerance = 10%

cheers
    Dave

11. jellybean77

jellybean77

May 7, 2012
    Thanks for the replies guys, I have just purchased som 100uh inductors online, when they get delivered i will try one out and let you know how it goes.:D

Ask a Question