Connect with us

Temperature

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by jfk, May 4, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jfk

jfk

Mar 28, 2016
    I want to adjust an LED, based on board temperature. As the temperature hits a threshold, I'd like to dim the LED a bit to control heat.

The temperature measurement ICs that I see raise an output as the temp goes up, so driving a FET from this output is backwards.

Any suggestions? Drive a PNP high side? Invert and use an NPN? (Simple schematic even nicer but not essential)

Thanks very much!

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    if the heat is generated by the LED, then a switch mode constant current source may be a solution.

As the LED temperature rises its forward voltage drops and a constant current results in a reduction in power.

if you already have a constant current driver, then paralleling a thermistor with one of the legs of a voltage divider from your reference voltage will result in a reduction of current with temperature. The actual reduction will depend on a lot of factors.

3. jfk

jfk

Mar 28, 2016
    This will be just use a resistor for current limiting, as it need to be cheap and very low part count. I was thinking a temp IC that has a thermal trigger point that just switches a FET.

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    well you could use a series PTC thermistor. Some are designed for relatively high current and may have the range of resistances needed. However I believe most of these respond to self heating rather than external temperature and may "latch" due to this.

5. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
  6. Herschel Peeler

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
    It would be helpful if we knew what your present circuit looked like.

7. jfk

jfk

Mar 28, 2016
    I'm still thinking about the best way to proceed, so nothing yet.

Ask a Question