Connect with us

Temperature monitor loading?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by eem2am, Jun 18, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. eem2am

eem2am

Aug 3, 2009
    Hello,

I need to load the output of this temperature monitor IC with 22K. Vsuppy is 3V3.

Is this going to be OK?.... the datasheet appears to say that the maximum load is 100uA?
    The datasheet seems to say that this 100uA load is actually within the Temperature monitor(?) so me loading it with an extra 22K could be bad news.

I need to load it as on some of our PCBs the temperature monitor is not fitted, and the ADC pin interprets this as overtemperature....so i want to put the pull down on the pin, so that boards without the temperature monitor get their ADC pin pulled down.

MCP9700 datasheet
    http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/21942e.pdf

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Max Vout is 3V at 100°.
    Current is 3V/22kOhm=136µA.
    Therefore the sensor would be overloaded - unless you don't use the full temperature range.
    As I read the datasheet it says output current <=100µA, which means that this current can be drawn notwithstanding any internal current consumption of the sensor itself. If you use 100kOhm you should be on the safe side.

Ask a Question