Connect with us

temperature display and storage using pic

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by kappa, May 18, 2012.

1. kappa

kappa

May 18, 2012
    hi...i have a ckt which gives temperature in volts in the range of 0 to 5v every second. i need to use pic16ff to display this on an lcd as well as store these values every second on a thumb drive or any external memory...pls help
    thanks

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi kappa
    welcome to the forums

there are masses of PIC based thermometers on the www
    here's one example

to send the data to a USB drive adds much more complexity, cant help you there

Dave

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You may find that an SD card is the simplest option for external storage.

Look here. Note that actually writing files to the card would probably require a meatier device, many suggest 18F series devices.

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Depending on the compiler you use, you can find full SD support libraries that will make writing to FAT formatted SD card a breeze, and you can even do the USB thing if you desire but it's not as simple...

The Mikro compilers have SD routines built in, there is an excellent library for Swordfish as well as a few 'generic' libraries that are cross platform... I'm sure other compilers have built in routines as well I'm just familiar with the ones I suggested as I have played with them...

Can't or don't want to deal with writing the access routines or using a compiler I can't recall the name off hand but there is a simple serial controlled chip that has a full compliment of DOS like SD access commands and controls... If I remember correctly it's a little costly but damn simple...

**EDIT** The interface chip is called ALFAT SoC Processor, supports USB as well as SD but it's a little costly IMO unless it's a one off design...

Ask a Question