Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Temperature controllers?

Arborfella

Apr 26, 2018
Hi all, first post and after advice, please!
I'm looking into what I'd need for a small project. A prototype/proof of concept first, and potentially more one day - though probably just another hair brained idea on my part!
If I wanted to control the heat of two metal 'pads' 7x18cm (not sure at this point on thickness, somewhere in the region of 2-4cm) at as consistent a temperature as possible (from ambient to a max of 125 degrees Celsius) as evenly as possible, what would I actually need?
I have a limited knowledge of what is actually available, and obviously cost is a factor as well as accuracy of temperature control, though a few degrees up or down wouldn't be the end of the world. I was thinking something like a controller (dual pid?) with a temperature/thermometer probe in the centre of each metal pad, with a 'heat rod' (sorry I don't know any correct term for this, element maybe?) running along the length either side of the temp probe, to give even heating. I imagine that any probe or heating element will need to be a small enough diameter to fit comfortably within the thickness of the pad, so m 10mm would be the maximum, I reckon, with heating elements ideally running along 15cm of the length.
Any other ways to achieve this, or names of components which may be compatible, so I can research sourcing and costing would be gratefully received. Thank you...

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Rework station???

On a DIY basis you could use the element from a clothes iron 'pinched' between a thinner plate and the main pad. Drill a small hole to take the thermocouple (heat sensor) then it would be a case of calibrating it.

There are a good many temperature controllers available on eBay and from your cheap Chinese sources and many come with the appropriate thermocouple for the range they are intended - buy the controller/sensor as a pair and you can't really go wrong.

From the cheap: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-H...517020?hash=item2393dbe49c:g:8YgAAOSwYc5aG8-U

to the cheerful: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220V-PID...649441&hash=item25f460d582:g:VPYAAOSwwIta3aHw

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
If you decide to got the thermocouple route then I would advise you to get something ready made.
Interfacing with a thermocouple is no mean feat. There are various types, all are non linear and there is the complication thermal emf's at the point of connection to your circuit which would require its own compensating circuit to negate this effect.