Connect with us

Telescope Mount

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by targetpainter, Oct 31, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. targetpainter

targetpainter

Oct 31, 2013
    A slightly crackpot idea here.

I'm working on a small radio telescope as a project, and I intend on using it to measure solar radio-activity (with no small amount of luck). One of the problems, though, is going to be that the sun isn't just going to sit and wait directly above wherever i put the telescope; to take readings over the course of a day, I'd have to go and adjust the telescope's position constantly.

To this end, i was wondering about building a small mount (with a motor and timer or LDR in a potential divider) that will move the dish for me. However, I have absolutely no experience when it comes to motors, and I was wondering if anyone could provide any advice from 'it's a stupid idea that's never going to work' to 'you need this motor, etc.'

Much obliged

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Have you tried Googling "solar tracker"?

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    There are many solar tracker projects for solar panels and the like. You can use something like that.

As long as you don't want t track it through heavy cloud, you should be fine.

You probably want to look up "equatorial mount" so you only have to move the disk in one axis.

Given that your antenna may have a few degrees of beam width, you may even be able to just use a timer arrangement since the sun "moves" at a predictable rate.

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    OK lets start at the start
    for a lot of frequencies a solar tracker isnt needed

what freq are YOU wanting to use ?
    What type of antenna do you want to use ? ( ohhh rereading ... you said a dish)
    HINT ... you dont need anything hi gain! like a dish, unless you are going to be in the high microwave freqs
    say ~ 10GHz and up
    Start on freqs are are more likely to give you results as per my next post :)

cheers
    Dave

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    further to my last post

with my amateur radio receivers, I have often heard blasts of solar noise from flares on the sun right across the HF bands 3 - 30MHz with nothing more than a wire dipole
    One of my fav operating bands is the 6m (50 - 54MHz) band and even with the 3 element yagi not even pointing at the sun the blast of noise often hit 40 - 50 dB over strength 9 on the signal strength meter!!

My other question that I should have added to the other post is ...
    What receiver equip are you using .... commercial ? home built ??

show us pics, circuits diagrams etc

cheers
    Dave

Ask a Question