Connect with us

Telephone cord plug replacement

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by VXtanyaXV, Aug 19, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. VXtanyaXV

VXtanyaXV

Jan 14, 2010
    Hi,
    I hope this question is okay for this forum?

I have the following device:
    http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&product=8008234

I need to replace the cord plug (the clear (standard) handset plug)) on left side of photo.
    (The "snap" that "holds" the plug into the receiver has broken so it won't stay in the receiver).
    1. Can I open the clear plug (from another cord) somehow without breaking it so I can put the 4 wires into it?
    2. How?

The following is from eHow:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2081920_replace-phone-modular-plugs.html
    I read that one should cut off several cms of cable with the plug, and strip the last ¼ inch of insulation off each of the 4 wires using the wire strippers. and then Insert the new wires into the new plug in the same order of colors that are in the damaged plug. Make sure that the wires occupy the center 4 wire slots on the plug and that there is an empty slot on each side of the connector. (?)

I apologize if I have posted to the wrong forum!
    Thank you in advance!

2. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Nope. Not like that at least.

The plug that goes into the phone for the handset is narrower than a regular phone plug that goes to a wall.
    You also cannot reuse a plug once it has been crimped as the little conductors are pressed into the wire and can't be pulled back out.

You have 2 options:
    -Buy a new plug and a basic crimp tool (Can be a simple metal form that you use a hammer or pliers on) and replace the end.
    -Buy a new handset cord, and cut the good end off with plenty of room to splice the new cord to the old one.

3. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Yes, you can replace a standard modular plug if you're careful. I've done it a few times. I don't like the eHow advice. You don't need the crimping tool; these are expensive! You just need a bench vise, or if you don't have that, you can probably make a jig for it. Here's what I have done.

1. Cut the cable off cleanly with side cutters or a razor, flush with the edge of the old plug, to keep as much cable length as possible.

2. Keep the old plug for reference. You should match the order of the colours (not necessarily required but is a good idea) and you need to match the length of the outer black insulation that you strip off.

3. Look in the old plug and estimte how long the four coloured wires are, inside the transparent plastic shell. It's around 5~6 mm (around 1/4 inch). Cut at least that much black insulation off the wire, using a razor or scalpel, being careful not to notch the insulation of the wires inside. You don't need to cut all the way through to the wires inside; you can cut most of the way, then bend it to break the last bit. Slide off the outer insulation.

4. Make sure the wire ends are still in a straight line. Slide the wires into the new plug and push them in firmly. Put the old and new plugs side-by-side and compare how far the outer insulation goes into the new plug. If it doesn't go as far as on the old plug, the wire ends are too long, so take the wire out, shorten the ends, and try again.

5. Once everything looks right and the wires are in the same order as the original, put the new plug facing left/right in a bench vise with the metal contacts upwards. Tighten the vise against the bottom section of plastic in the connector so it's held firmly. Push the wire into the plug firmly one last time.

6. Put the end of a flat blade screwdriver pointing downwards, against one of the gold-plated contacts, and bang the screwdriver firmly but not violently with a hammer. This will push the gold metal piece down onto the wire, and the little sharp bits on the bottom of that bit of metal will pierce the insulation and make contact with the wire. You can start soft and increase the violence until you can feel that the metal has reached its limit and the screwdriver doesn't budge when you hit it.

7. Pull the wire gently to make sure it is captured.

8. Repeat this for the other three gold-plated metal bits.

9. The plug includes a plastic clamp towards the end where the wire emerges. It is below a rectangular cutout in the plug body. You can push this down firmly from above using a flat blade screwdriver. Screwdrivers aren't ideal for this; the proper crimping tool has a metal block that fills the entire rectangular hole because it's much thicker than a flat blade. But see what you can manage. The clamp will stay down when you get it right. Put your weight on the screwdriver; don't use a hammer.

Good luck!

Arouse1973 likes this.
  4. VXtanyaXV

VXtanyaXV

Jan 14, 2010
    Interim thank you

I was not notified (email)

Ask a Question