Connect with us

Telephone circuitry

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by gwfami, Jan 19, 2013.

1. gwfami

gwfami

Sep 13, 2012
    I've been kicking around the idea of making my own custom telephone number interceptor that would do things that commercial ones don't.

Anyone know anything about how to interface with the phone system to get the incoming name/number?

Thanks,

GWFAMI

2. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    Your best bet is to get a PSTN card for your PC and some PBX software (there are many free examples of the latter. I even wrote the stuff for a living :p ). Then you can do whatever you like with the phone call, number and all.

3. gwfami

gwfami

Sep 13, 2012
    Thanks, but I'm looking for something that isn't pc based. I would consider a beaglebone based system.

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Google 'caller id circuit' everything you need to know... Chips like the HT9032 make it painless to interface with any micro...

5. gwfami

gwfami

Sep 13, 2012
    Thanks,
    That's exactly what I was looking for.:)

6. JimW

JimW

Oct 22, 2010
    I'll go out on a limb and say that it owuld be tough to come up with anything new based on the caller ID info. Been there and done that. Blocking, prioritizing, rerouting, logging, macro execution, spoofing, you name it. But have at it, playing with phone lines is very fun.

You also need to remember that the caller ID FSK isn't there by default, you have to order it from the phone company (at least in the US). And it is completely different than the toll free ANI info if you have an 800 number.

-Jim

7. gwfami

gwfami

Sep 13, 2012
    You're probably right, but a couple of the features I've come up with I can't find anywhere. If I can get it going on Kickstarter, perhaps I can put it out to the public.

8. poor mystic

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
    Hi and :)
    There are several standards employed in telephony; in most of the western world the CCITT standards apply but in America, Bell use their own standard.

Ask a Question