Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Tektronix Model 2337 repair

angelfj1

Jun 2, 2015
I've inherited a Tektronix Model 2337 scope and it has no trace on the screen. I have a copy of the service manual and by following the repair and diagnosis flowcharts it appears the problem is in the LV power supplies. I have measured the voltages suggested by the manual and they are low, approx. 50 percent of rated. I am trying to verify that the power transformer is good. I have isolated the transformer and measured the open circuit ac voltages. Since the manual does not list the no load secondary voltages there is no way for me to verify that they are correct.. The transformer is Tektronix PN 120-1314-00. It has two primary windings and four secondary windings. The secondary windings supply four linear dc power supplies, delivering regulated voltages of +40. +10, -10, +5. -5, +102 throughout the scope.

Does anyone know what the rated secondary voltages should be for this transformer?

Thanks

bsco

May 8, 2011
It might be strange to have 4 secondary windings with something wrong.....unless it is one winding with center taps......is it possible that there is a problem on the primary side?? not saying that is what the problem is.....but I have found through experience that you can't rule anything out.......

angelfj1

Jun 2, 2015
It might be strange to have 4 secondary windings with something wrong.....unless it is one winding with center taps......is it possible that there is a problem on the primary side?? not saying that is what the problem is.....but I have found through experience that you can't rule anything out.......

Yes I agree. However, I'm trying to cover all bases. It would be good to know the rated voltage of each winding. BTW, I made an error since there are three secondary windings and not four. Two of the three are center-tapped, and the ct's are connected to common ground.

Thanks, Frank

bsco

May 8, 2011
what is the rated voltage of the electrolytic caps in the associated power supplies? if you have caps rated for 50V and you measure say 12V on that particular winding, then you could have a problem associated with the winding...did you check the associated caps for excessive esr?? do you have a schematic of the power supply??

angelfj1

Jun 2, 2015
Thank you for your reply. I don't really what you're trying to say regarding the filter caps. These are all original components on a pc board, and I must assume they were sized correctly. Yes, I have all of the schematics. Here is the +40 volt supply.

Attachments

• 1of3 40V PS.jpg
    1of3 40V PS.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 2of3 40V PS.jpg
    2of3 40V PS.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 3of3 40V PS.jpg
    3of3 40V PS.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 129

angelfj1

Jun 2, 2015
Thank you for your reply. I don't really what you're trying to say regarding the filter caps. These are all original components on a pc board, and I must assume they were sized correctly. Yes, I have all of the schematics. Here is the +40 volt supply.

Her's a photo of the PC BD.

Attachments

• DSC08544-R1.jpg
    DSC08544-R1.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 118

bsco

May 8, 2011
OK. Sorry about that.....did you preform a transformer test for shorted turns.....R.G.Kean had put something up on the net about building a shorted turns tester.......do a quick search and give it a read.......you might find it very helpful...I have used it on a couple of previous occasions....and it turned out that my transformers were fine......hope this helps somewhat...

bsco

May 8, 2011
Got the pic of the board....Can't really make out the voltage ratings.......have you checked them for excessive esr.......that is very easy to do in ckt with an esr tester...

angelfj1

Jun 2, 2015
Got the pic of the board....Can't really make out the voltage ratings.......have you checked them for excessive esr.......that is very easy to do in ckt with an esr tester...

1 - 440 ufd 100 VDC
2 - 3200 ufd 25 VDC
2 - 6200 ufd 15 VDC
I do not own an esr meter. You say it can be used without lifting one of the capacitor leads? Cool!

bsco

May 8, 2011
if you have a capacitance checker you have to remove one lead.....and an electrolytic can check good for capacity but have excessive esr....to test for esr you simply make sure the caps are drained and connect your esr meter across the cap you want to test.....if caps are connected in parallel then you would be reading the total esr and capicators when connected in parallel work the same as resistors....the esr resistance is paralleled and will be lower overall...then you will need to lift one of the capacitor leads.......also note that capacitors in parallel will add in capacitance same as resistors add when connected in series...I'll take a look at your schematic and see if I might be of some help here......I am....however.....no expert and I am always learning as well.....

angelfj1

Jun 2, 2015
OK. Sorry about that.....did you preform a transformer test for shorted turns.....R.G.Kean had put something up on the net about building a shorted turns tester.......do a quick search and give it a read.......you might find it very helpful...I have used it on a couple of previous occasions....and it turned out that my transformers were fine......hope this helps somewhat...

I was able to test the transformer, at least for obvious problems. For example, each half of the ct'd windings deliver the exact same voltage. In addition, the two primary windings have identical resistance. Also I connected the two primaries in series and measured exactly half of the sec. volts. However, I should look into a shorted turns tester. The switch which allows you to use either a 115 or 230 volt source is a bit wonky. I rewired the scope for 115 volts permanently, and put a note on the rear panel as a caution.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
if you are interested in building one, see here ....

http://ludens.cl/Electron/esr/esr.html

Some good advice .....
for any bit of gear that is over 10 - 15 yrs old and particularly if it runs quite warm - hot
replace ALL electrolytics. It will save you lots of future frustrations

Dave

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I suspect you will find it is either the electros in the PSU section or other failed components in other sections that are causing the power rails to be dragged down

I repaired a couple of Tek 465B scopes some years back with similar issues to what you are seeing
there were blown tantalum caps and a couple of cooked resistors out on other boards

D

angelfj1

Jun 2, 2015
if you are interested in building one, see here ....

http://ludens.cl/Electron/esr/esr.html

Some good advice .....
for any bit of gear that is over 10 - 15 yrs old and particularly if it runs quite warm - hot
replace ALL electrolytics. It will save you lots of future frustrations

Dave

Thanks Dave, that looks interesting.
Also, here is a link to the shorted turns testing method.
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/the-super-secret-transformer-tester-1

Regards,

Frank

Last edited:

bsco

May 8, 2011
I had forgot to mention...there are also a number of good videos on youtube on the subject.....might be worth checking out....

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
look forward to hearing how you get on :)

bsco

May 8, 2011
Yes...Please do post your results.....I am very interested.....