Connect with us

Tektronix and Iwatsu repairs being attempted

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Jim Ford, Jan 13, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Jim Ford

Jim Ford

Jan 13, 2017
    Hi, folks. Like I said in my intro, I'm between jobs for another couple of weeks, and I've been trying to repair some faulty test equipment in my garage lab while I have the time.

First on the list is a Tek TLA711 logic analyzer system. It seems the backup battery in the Benchtop Controller (basically a Windows 98 PC) was dead. It wouldn't boot up at all. Turns out the battery was inside a realtime clock IC module which is no longer available. But fortunately there were several crosses to that particular RTC. Now, I had to add a battery holder, a CR2032 coin cell battery, and a 32.768 kHz crystal. No more complaints from the BIOS about the RTC.

But the problem now is that the BIOS doesn't seem to recognize that there is a hard drive attached. I wasn't able to get the BIOS setup to Autodetect like the Tek TLA711 service manual said. I suppose I will have to open up the Benchtop Controller yet again to see if I bumped a cable or a jumper off inadvertently. I was hoping I didn't have to do so again (when I replaced the RTC, I didn't realize that it needed the battery and crystal, so that's 2 times disassembling and reassembling; this will be 3 times).

Unless somebody has a better idea? I'll see if I can get some screenshots in here with the error messages.

Next up is my Iwatsu SS-5710D 60 MHz analog scope. Evidently the D model is the one with the multimeter and frequency counter built-in (I'd have sworn it said SS-57100 on it, but Google showed no such animal, and I finally figured out that was a "D" not another "0"!). This scope works, but there seems to be a problem with the horizontal circuit. The traces on either channel 1 or 2 don't go past about 2 divisions on the right side of the screen, and they bunch up a bit at the right end.

Now, I found an instruction manual for the SS-5710, but it doesn't mention anything about the D version. Has schematics so I should be able to figure it out. Of course I'm all ears if somebody on the forum has experience with a similar problem. Let me see about screenshots.

Thanks. -Jim

2. Jim Ford

Jim Ford

Jan 13, 2017
    Update on the Iwatsu scope (SS-5710D): I tracked the problem down to saturation in the horizontal amplifier. The schematic shows it in section 11; Iwatsu puts a number on each page of the schematic, but these don't correspond 1:1 with the circuit boards. Section 11 is on at least 2 different boards, and section 5 is also part of one of the section 11 boards. I checked points 2 and 4 on the schematic (3 and 5 are the same points, just with the 10X horizontal magnification on - I'm not concerning myself with that right now).

3. Jim Ford

Jim Ford

Jan 13, 2017
    So here are some .jpg's of 1) the Iwatsu SS-5710 schematic, section 11, 2) a zoomed-in view of the section 11 schematic so that the point 2 and point 4 designations can be read, 3) a photo of the '5710D screen with the trace saturating at the right side, about 1 division from the end of the screen, and 4) a photo of the difference between point 2 and point 4, taken from a different scope (Tek 7904 with 7A26 vertical amp and 7B85 timebase). You can see the horizontal sweep in photo 4) saturating at about 100 V differential. How do I get it to go beyond that so that the sweep goes all the way across the '5710D screen? Is there another adjustment, perhaps on a further amplification stage beyond section 11? I'm just not that familiar with CRT's to know. TIA. full_section_11_schematic.jpg section_11_schematic_zoomed_in.jpg display_on_Iwatsu_SS-5710D.jpg point_2_minus_point_4.jpg

Ask a Question