Connect with us

Technics SA-GX670 Left Channel

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by merryfestivus, Aug 3, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. merryfestivus

merryfestivus

Aug 3, 2014
    Hello everyone, I have a Technics SA-GX670 but sadly the left channel is going out. I know it is not the left speaker because it works when I connect it to the right channel. Does anyone know what I have to do in order to fix it and parts I would have to get? I am looking to fix it myself.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Describe "going out".

Is it just not working at all, or does it start OK and fade out with time, or is it very distorted? Or maybe something else?

3. merryfestivus

merryfestivus

Aug 3, 2014
    Hello Steve. It works most of the time but every once in a while the left channel stops working, nothing is coming out of it. This has happened Two times in the last couple months Both times it went out I took the shell off. I never see anything visibly wrong with it so I put it back together. After that, I hook it back up to the speakers and it works fine again.

4. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    OK, it has stopped working twice. And it stops suddenly. It doesn't fade out, it doesn't sound funny before it stops working?

Does the unit have a VU meter or anything that shows the output power? If so, what does this show when the channel has stopped?

Is there plenty of ventilation for the unit? Does the air around it feel warm or hot when it's operating? What about the case, doe it feel significantly warm?

Can you post some images of inside the unit so we have some idea about what you're seeing?

5. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    I recently gave this input on a similar question about another model in a different post:
    I've seen this happen many times in older audio gear I've worked on. The speaker-select switch was worn or dirty. May not be the problem, but that's what I've seen often-enough to check.
    I'd check/clean that switch or switches first, before tearing into the components.
    If exercising the switch by selecting and de-selecting it several times, brings the channel back up, that'd be the problem.

6. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Another problem I've had is that the amplifier goes into supersonic oscillation. It no longer works as an amplifier, and you can't hear anything, but it's actually running at full power with (in my case) the VU meter pinned to the RHS.

Ask a Question