Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Technics RS-TR313

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
And draw a layout of all the screws you can see and as you remove them, place them on your drawing so you know where they go and don't get confused if some are longer / shorter.
I (used to) use small plastic stackable trays for this, (the clear plastic trays from individually wrapped cheese slices), with all of the screws from one stage of disassembly in each tray. Then, when reassembling, I'd just work back down through the trays.

Last edited:

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I hope you eat the cheese first!!
A cheese and screws sandwich is bad for the teeth....

Yes, me too. I put them into containers. But when there are different lengths, it can be a headache.
I was trying to paint a picture for somebody who isn't experienced in disassembly.

Martin

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
I hope you eat the cheese first!!
A cheese and screws sandwich is bad for the teeth....
Yes, me too. I put them into containers. But when there are different lengths, it can be a headache.
I was trying to paint a picture for somebody who isn't experienced in disassembly.
Martin
There's nothing wrong with your drawing idea. :)

Arch L

Sep 10, 2015
Hi Arch L,
Never give in with a repair of your own goods!!
The Technics decks are real nice old skool decks.
I found two videos on youtube about 1. replacing the belts and 2. about your deck.

The first video is not your deck but the tape mechanism is the same or very similar.
The second is a guy who has cleaned his deck. He has replaced the belts and you might find it useful to contact him with your photos.

Always, ALWAYS, take photos of every stage and MARK all connectors.
And draw a layout of all the screws you can see and as you remove them, place them on your drawing so you know where they go and don't get confused if some are longer / shorter.
It really is very easy to take apart and repair if done methodically.
Good luck.

Martin

Martin,
That was great help. I was quite surprised how easy it was to change the belts but seeing how the best I could do was order a bunch of belts & hope 2 fit, I found two rubber bands that were slightly smaller than the belts I took off & they seem to work fine. However, the problem evidently is not the belts as the same thing is going on. The sprocket on the one side makes a clicking noise & then stops turning altogether so the tape runs out of the cassette. After a small amount of time, the tape reverses direction (works fine in that direction) & tapes up the slack. I can't see what is causing the noise or what is causing it not to turn. I sure hope you've got some idea since I've been able to take it so far. Thanks

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hi Arch,
It sounds like there is an obstruction. You will have to delve deeper into the mechanism.
Also, you might want to check the gear/sprocket/cog itself for a hairline crack on the shaft.
Something like this picture. Note: not your device just a picture I found.

t2756444-170-thumb-burst%20gear.jpg

Martin

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
If you find whatever is creating the noise in your mechanism and replace or fix it, make sure you don't leave those rubberbands in there as a 'permanent' fix. They'll deteriorate and maybe really gum-up the works inside the deck.

Arch L

Sep 10, 2015
Hi Arch,
It sounds like there is an obstruction. You will have to delve deeper into the mechanism.
Also, you might want to check the gear/sprocket/cog itself for a hairline crack on the shaft.
Something like this picture. Note: not your device just a picture I found.

t2756444-170-thumb-burst%20gear.jpg

Martin
It looks like I'll have to take much more off to get to the gears. If one of the gears is cracked, how do I get a replacement? I saw another reply that said don't leave rubber bands in the deck. How quickly do they deteriorate? It seems like I can't get just the belts I need & hate to waste money to buy a large number hoping the size I need is in there. Any alternatives? Thanks, again

Arch L

Sep 10, 2015
If you find whatever is creating the noise in your mechanism and replace or fix it, make sure you don't leave those rubberbands in there as a 'permanent' fix. They'll deteriorate and maybe really gum-up the works inside the deck.
Thanks for the comment but do the rubber bands deteriorate that quickly? How do I get the right size belts without wasting money on a bunch that may or may not have the size I need? Can I use something else?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hi Arch,
The link posted by shrtrnd is the place for belts. Except the link is slightly different to mine..
https://www.thakker.eu/en/belts/tape-deck/technics-rs-tr-313-belt-kit/a-2261/

The gears may not be broken!
It might be a case of the original lubricant has dried out causing them to not move freely.
You wont know without a strip down.
Gears could probably be located somewhere, or I use my soldering iron to melt the plastics back together and then build up the joint with more molten plastic. Not ideal I know, but it works sometimes.
Or you could buy another on Ebay for a fiver that has other issues for parts.

Martin

Arch L

Sep 10, 2015
Hi Arch,
The link posted by shrtrnd is the place for belts. Except the link is slightly different to mine..
https://www.thakker.eu/en/belts/tape-deck/technics-rs-tr-313-belt-kit/a-2261/

The gears may not be broken!
It might be a case of the original lubricant has dried out causing them to not move freely.
You wont know without a strip down.
Gears could probably be located somewhere, or I use my soldering iron to melt the plastics back together and then build up the joint with more molten plastic. Not ideal I know, but it works sometimes.
Or you could buy another on Ebay for a fiver that has other issues for parts.

Martin
What do you use to lubricate the gears?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I regularly use a silicone grease.
Just make sure whatever grease you use is suitable for plastics.
All model shops and electronic shops stock these types of grease.

You must remove the dried lube first though. Even gears off of their spindles and cleaned.

Martin

Arch L

Sep 10, 2015
I put some bands on to replace the belts. They are not proper belts but tighter than the belts that were already on. On both sides of the deck, the cassette played no differently, eating up tapes so it must be a problem with the gears. Looking at pulling those apart, I can see it will be far more involved, well beyond my capabilities so I guess I've reached the end of the road. Hate to dump a deck that has really performed well for over 20 years but without someone holding my hand at each step, I don't know what else to do. Thank you to all for your assistance & efforts to help. Arch

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir Arch . . . . . . .L ?

Can you hear me . . . .can you hear me now ?

I had prepped up a blow up of your unit in conjunction with your supplied pictures and thought
that I had already posted info to you .Instead, its just residing on a flash drive.

The last time that you showed up, results were still uncertain, unless the video info Sir Martaine supplied,
whetted your initiative .

If your unit plays just enough to hear a sound snippet and the sound pitch is correct, that signifies that
the larger flat belt . . .called capstan drive is minimally fulfilling its duty.

The smaller round belt to the rear is the feed and take up reel function, and that will probably be the
fault. Specifically the take up reel, with your mention of a tape amassing internally of a cassette.

I'm using no more of my time at THIS instant until I hear back from you and your finds or needs.

Plus I don't know where you are . . .France . . .Uganda . . .Timubu . .as far as repair acquisition.
( Never mind . . . . when I logged in it said US of Amerikanski )

If you report back I can fulfill all procedural explanations and parts functions even down to its
smallest washer.

In the interim, I am posting the prior specified referencing that will be used along with the units
equivalent replacement belts numbers.

The belts are supplied by Electrovoice- - - - - Russell Industries- - - - - Projector Recorder Belts
which are all now being the same.

BEHOLD . . . . le Panorama . . . . .
( Left mouse click to MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG on up . . . . )

Whoooooooops . . . . .spilled out and onto the desk . . .didn't it . . . .

mLYdKka.jpg

Base Image Host:
http://i.imgur.com/mLYdKka.jpg

73's de Edd

Arch L

Sep 10, 2015

Sir Arch . . . . . . .L ?

Can you hear me . . . .can you hear me now ?

I had prepped up a blow up of your unit in conjunction with your supplied pictures and thought
that I had already posted info to you .Instead, its just residing on a flash drive.

The last time that you showed up, results were still uncertain, unless the video info Sir Martaine supplied,
whetted your initiative .

If your unit plays just enough to hear a sound snippet and the sound pitch is correct, that signifies that
the larger flat belt . . .called capstan drive is minimally fulfilling its duty.

The smaller round belt to the rear is the feed and take up reel function, and that will probably be the
fault. Specifically the take up reel, with your mention of a tape amassing internally of a cassette.

I'm using no more of my time at THIS instant until I hear back from you and your finds or needs.

Plus I don't know where you are . . .France . . .Uganda . . .Timubu . .as far as repair acquisition.
( Never mind . . . . when I logged in it said US of Amerikanski )

If you report back I can fulfill all procedural explanations and parts functions even down to its
smallest washer.

In the interim, I am posting the prior specified referencing that will be used along with the units
equivalent replacement belts numbers.

The belts are supplied by Electrovoice- - - - - Russell Industries- - - - - Projector Recorder Belts
which are all now being the same.

BEHOLD . . . . le Panorama . . . . .
( Left mouse click to MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG on up . . . . )

Whoooooooops . . . . .spilled out and onto the desk . . .didn't it . . . .

mLYdKka.jpg

Base Image Host:
http://i.imgur.com/mLYdKka.jpg

73's de Edd

What a great response! Thank you. I had given up but you make me think there may still be hope. I'm near Charlotte, if that makes a difference. The photos & drawings really help. Like I said, I had used some bands to replace the belts without any change. Looking at the photo, it seems that all of the problem is in quad section ceramic magnet. That's the one that stops turning. On the one side, it clicks a couple times before it stops & makes a humming sound. I hope that narrows down the problem for you & let's you help me fix this. Thanks again. Arch

Arch L

Sep 10, 2015
What a great response! Thank you. I had given up but you make me think there may still be hope. I'm near Charlotte, if that makes a difference. The photos & drawings really help. Like I said, I had used some bands to replace the belts without any change. Looking at the photo, it seems that all of the problem is in quad section ceramic magnet. That's the one that stops turning. On the one side, it clicks a couple times before it stops & makes a humming sound. I hope that narrows down the problem for you & let's you help me fix this. Thanks again. Arch