Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Technics RS TR 373 tape doors won't open

art blank

Jul 10, 2016
Tape deck has worked fine forever(20 years?). Haven't used for a few months. Now when i push buttons(both sides) to open the tape door, won't open. Circuits seem to be on(panel is lit). ??

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir art blank . . . . . . .

But . . .BUT . . .BUT . . .BUT . . .that thing is getting old and feeble and you shouldn't expect it to be on duty 24/7 for your beck and call for opening its door for you ! . . . . . after all . . . . .and that's being spelled with a HEAVY . . . .
A l l l l l l l l l . . . . .of these years.

One normally expects to find an el cheapo mechanically latched and spring loaded door used for that function.

On your unit with the "soft touch " . . . your pressing against a "tact" switch, should then engage its electronics to activate a motor driven geared ? belted ? performance of those open / close functions.

Now on your part, you are going to have to crack some eggs to make that omelet . . . . . .
(PULL the units top dust cover .)

Fortunately many years back, I had a second nephew , twice removed, that had one of those units in a complete Technics stacked set up and he got its service manual and had me repair it for him . . . .however,it was having a no sound problem.

With your MOST informative info, already presented, with it affecting BOTH decks, we can rule out just about everything but a power supply or interconnectivity problem COMMON to both units..

It looks like the unit might rely upon a constantly running reel drive motor that ALSO intermittently mechanically kicks in and supplies the mechanical drive for the door mechanism by the activation of an associated solenoid.
Limit switches L 801-2-3-4 tell it when to start or end its mechanical engagement.

I will initially send you this "snippet" , placed just below, of just the first preliminary checks, to do.
If you will send me a one of this forums "conversational" messages with your Email addee, I can then send you the units whole service manual and schemas . . . a la . . . Pee Dee Eff.

Now . . . .what'cha . . .gonna find ?

REFERENCING:

$_57.JPG

rGquuf9.png

73's de Edd

Last edited by a moderator:

Swampthaing

Jan 30, 2020
Hey awsome checklist.
So I have "somewhat" of a similar tragedy at hand..

After I press the button to close the deck, the deck closes.....then falls open....

Any ideas??