Connect with us

Tascam DA-30 DAT won't play

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by rhaigh, Dec 9, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. rhaigh

rhaigh

Dec 9, 2017
    I have a Tascam DA-30 that did work fine but now it won't play. It powers on fine and rewinds and fast forwards but when play is pressed, it gets a fast whirring sound and the tape starts fast forwarding (but not like in fast forward mode). The only way to stop it is to press stop. Below is a link to a video showing the issue. You can hear the problem when the unit is first turned on, then I press play and you can see the issue. I then show how FF and REW work fine. I cleaned the heads but no luck. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Check the capstan and pinch roller - sounds like you've got something wrapped around one of them.

3. rhaigh

rhaigh

Dec 9, 2017
    The pinch roller is coming in contact and spinning with the tape. Funny thing though, I tried it again tonight and its been working fine. Something intermittent happening. Maybe clean up some of the old hard grease and apply new? What type of grease is best for this? Thanks.

Ask a Question