Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Tank reverb

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
I have a 30 watt battery powered amplifier which is quite excellent. Only trouble is that when playing solo the output is a little too pure and I need a reverb. I have a plug in one which isn't the best so I decided to upgrade the circuit.

I purchased a tank reverb P_RMOD which is an ideal size to fit in the case. Yesterday I finished fitting it in and plugged the guitar into it with the output going into the guitar socket of the amp......result ......NOTHING!

I have mounted the tank vertically, could this be the problem?, or have I just been too naive and it needs to be wired into the circuit somewhere?

Advice please

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
When you say "nothing" do you mean "no output at all" or "no change to the output"?

My (albeit very limited) knowledge suggests they need to be driven from a fairly powerful signal source, and their output again needs amplifying.

This circuit seems to confirm that.

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
First of all there was nothing, no signal at all. I removed the tank from the amplifier and sat it horizontal on the bench. This time I did get some noise and buzzing but no guitar signal.
Hoping now for someone to come up with a way of sweating it into the circuit within my limited ability.
Thanks

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yeah, I think you'll need a circuit something like the one I've linked to above. Note they say that you normally mix the output of this with the direct signal so you can control the amount of reverb (and that adds more complexity).

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Damn, I was hoping just to put a variable potentiometer across the tank and use that to control the throughput! Life is never simple is it?
Deigh

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Damn, I was hoping just to put a variable potentiometer across the tank and use that to control the throughput! Life is never simple is it?
Deigh

Unfortunately not :(

If that circuit looks too complex for you, it is possible (I can't promise) that we may be able to find already built modules that may do the trick.

One thing first though... is the speaker inside the same box as the amplifier? My fear is that the reverb unit will be sufficiently microphonic to pick up sound from the vibrations caused by the speaker with possibly bad effects.

Here is a small amplifier board that runs from 5 to 12V. You *may* be able to connect one of these between your input signal and the reverb unit, and another to the output of the reverb unit. If you adjust the gain controls so that the main signal is at the same level, you can then wire up a pot as a fader between them. Thus would allow you to simply dial in the amount of reverb you wanted.

I'm not 100% certain that the gain of these amplifiers is exactly what you need, but it should get you a lot closer.

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Thanks for that, Yes the tank is close to the speaker but that seems to work in other amplifiers I've owned so I don't see that as the major problem.

If I have to sweat the tank into the circuit I need help to tell me exactly where to do it. I cant work it out from a drawing of the circuit.

Regards
Deigh

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
I've had some advice about installing a reverb into my amplifier, but everyone seems to have lost interest in my problem and I'm beginning to sulk.....

Need help please. question is now, how do I sweat a tank reverb into an existing circuit? Schematic diagrams of circuits are useful but I cant translate them into practicality. Someone needs to tell me which wires to twist together to get this device working.:eek::D:confused:

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Please don't start a duplicate thread on the same subject. You can post a new message on the existing thread.

You can start with the basics, by telling us the brand and model number of your amplifier and your tank reverb unit.

You can also Google those keywords along with "service manual" or "schematic" (no quotes), to see if you can find a link to the technical information on the amplifier and the reverb unit, so we have some information to work with.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If I have to sweat the tank into the circuit I need help to tell me exactly where to do it. I cant work it out from a drawing of the circuit.

Simply speaking...

You get two of those amplifiers. One is used to amplify the input signal and feed it into the reverb. The other is used to amplify the output of the reverb and is then passed to an input of your amp.

If this simple arrangement works, then we can talk about more complex things to control the balance between the direct signal and the reverb signal.

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
OK thanks, will order two of the units and then when they arrive re-open the thread with details of my amp and the reverb unit.
;)

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Simply speaking...

You get two of those amplifiers. One is used to amplify the input signal and feed it into the reverb. The other is used to amplify the output of the reverb and is then passed to an input of your amp.

If this simple arrangement works, then we can talk about more complex things to control the balance between the direct signal and the reverb signal.

Two units are on order and should arrive next week. The amplifier makers are not keen on giving me a copy of the circuit diagram, but reading your mail again it rather suggests that I can plug the output straight into the input jack. If this is so that makes it a lot easier.
regards
Deigh

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
We can try that *carefully*.

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Having difficulty convincing the makers of my amp to give me a pix of the circuit so have sent them pix of the extensive modifications I have already done to their product...
Adding two batteries to support the Mac 180 powerbook, another battery to run the midi interface, a system of recharging everything from a 12v cigarette lighter fitting in my campervan. gas strut powered framework which condenses the unit for storage. Wheels for trundling it around difficult places. Built in battery tester so I can check each battery individually.

amplifier 3.JPGamplifier 2.JPG genral0004.JPG

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
That was very good of them.