Connect with us

talking toys

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Armstrong13, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Armstrong13

Armstrong13

Dec 8, 2011
    anyone has an idea how does talking toys works? anyone has simple diagram of it?

thanks!

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    You play back a sampled/recorded sound, due to memory constraints it can be a simple compression codec or straight up PCM data... Most commercial devices use a codec so they can get more recording time in less memory thus cheaper, but most DIY people will find PCM playback to be easier to impliment...

3. Laplace

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
    I googled the words: talking toys voice synthesis. What I got back was more than you would ever want to know about how talking toys work. I especially liked the Wikipedia entry for the Texas Instruments Speak & Spell since it reminded me of the time I worked with Gene Frantz before he went to TI where he became the program manager for development of the original Speak & Spell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speak_&_Spell_(toy)

Ask a Question