Connect with us

Taking an amplifier off an old CRT

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by [email protected], Sep 2, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guest

    My old monitor has two mounted loundspeakers that I fell in love with.
    Even though the monitor is no longer usable, I would like to continue
    to use the speakers next to my new monitor. The speakers themselves are
    detachable, but they require the amplifying unit that is part of the
    monitor. It would be difficult for me to obtain a cheap and simple
    amplifier to power this set, so I think it might be a good idea to take
    the original amplifier off the monitor. I haven't looked inside yet (I
    have yet to ask a technician to discharge the CRT before anything
    else), but I want to know if it would be a wise thing to try. Do these
    integrated amplifiers tend to be isolated from the main CRT circuitry,
    only sharing the power cord with it?
  2. Rono

    Rono Guest

    Without knowing the model of the unit, most of these type monitors,
    you can remove the whole audio amplifier section, & use it, but you
    may have to make up a power supply, to run it! Rono.
  3. Andy Cuffe

    Andy Cuffe Guest

    It depends on the monitor. The amp could be a completely separate
    board that only requires a single low voltage power supply that you
    could get from a 'wall wart' adapter. If you're unlucky it could be
    part of the main board and almost impossible to run without the rest
    of the monitor. If your plan fails, there are small, inexpensive
    amplifiers that would do the job.

    Discharging the CRT is something you can easily and safely do
    yourself. Do a google groups search for instructions. All you will
    need is a long screwdriver and a piece of wire. The CRT can hold a
    painful, but not dangerous charge.
    Andy Cuffe

    <-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

    <-- Use this address after 12/31/2005
  4. Guest

    Without knowing the model of the unit, most of these type monitors,
    That's good to know. The model is Packard Bell 2160, a 15" CRT monitor
    made in 1998.
    The transformer ought to be somewhere inside :)

    Thanks, Rono
  5. Guest

    OK, thanks Andy. First, I'll try to get this amplifier. If I fail, I'll
    look around for another.
  6. James Sweet

    James Sweet Guest

    Have you tried any other decent PC speakers? My dad had a PB monitor like
    that, the speakers were decent for being part of such a cheap POS monitor
    but they were nothing to write home about. A good $30-$80 set of PC speakers
    will blow them away.
  7. Guest

    Yes, I tried other speakers, but couldn't find a decent alternative.
    Cheap speakers actually do a jood job in my opinion, but the ones I've
    seen feature a constant low-frequency "hum", probably as a result of
    "efficient" design, that I'd rather live without. I generally aim for a
    high-quality set of speakers for music playback. Just a plain 2.0 set.
    Do you have a specific model in mind?
  8. Guest

    My plan didn't work out too well. As Andy suspected, the amplifier
    turned out to be too integrated into the main circuitry. It wouldn't be
    worth the hassle to get it out of there.
  9. Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    A fretsaw should isolate the amplifier's real estate. There can't be
    too many external traces - signal in, speaker out, volume pot, power
    in. The datasheet for the power amp (eg TDAxxxx) will most probably
    have an application circuit.

    -- Franc Zabkar

    Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day