Connect with us

Take your guess!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by cjdelphi, Jul 31, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    SALt - It's a Social Movement

before you go look, it's a startup offering power led lamps even charge a phone? from saltwater (either homemade or directly from sea water) claims to give 8hours runtime ...

http://www.salt.ph/

imo, you'd have to have 2 different metals using saltwater as the electrolyte ...

but, if it did use that method, the metals would corrode...?

2. Miguel Lopez

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
    I have tried that using a lemon, and a couple of diferent metal wires (iron and copper, in my case). It works for a very short period of time (few seconds), but to power a white LED you would need about 3V, so a single cell won't work. I think that require at least 2 cells in series. A phone charger requires 5V at least (I guess).

To increase the power it would need a very high area on the plates, so I think that lamp would require several plates arranged as a common battery does, and yes, surely the plates will corrode. As an emergency solution it could work but it will require a very fine work to be build.

3. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    If that's the case, then it's claims of reuse might be a but exaggerated but they're offering to the Philippines where there is no power (which would imply reusable a one or two use device would not go down well...)

maybe it's not that at all.... curious

4. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    This, or a similar company, has had a corner booth in a high-traffic aisle at the Dayton Hamvention® for at least two years in a row now, touting this "salt water battery system" as an emergency backup power source. I don't think they had many takers who "bought in" to their product, although hams generally are always looking for inexpensive alternative power sources. Solar cell panels always sell well at Hamvention®, both at vendor booths and in the outdoor flea market. Salt water batteries? Not so much.

5. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    The energy which the battery supplies comes from the energy stored in the electrodes. They will be consumed during use and maybe corrode when not in use.

I do not think the specific electrolyte is not important.

Ask a Question