Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Tactile button

zepedrowdp

Nov 29, 2013
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a tactile button with a triangle format. No luck so far...

It came to my mind that it would also be possible to do like this:
http://cdn.sonigate.com/product_images/GC222_Modulo-GSM-GC22_1..jpg

So I can talk to a company that prints this kinds of "foils".

My problem is that I have no idea how this process works... First what kind of tactile button would I need? One with the shape of a square? Or is it something different, specific for this type of work?

And second, do you know any companies that print this kinds of things?

Thank you for your time!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Presumably you want buttons shaped like arrows.

As far as I am aware, those "foils" are just printed onto some sort of adhesive plastic sheet which is placed on your front panel. Holes in the front panel allow you to push through the plastic onto the button (often, although not always, with something to spread the load so you don't poke holes in the sheet).

Another option is to cut holes of the desired shape in your front panel and place plastic pieces in those holes with something to stop them falling out Pressing on these could actuate the tactile button.

I've been playing with (actually being taught to operate) a laser cutter and I'm thinking how easy this would be if you had access to one. Naturally this method doesn't protect your circuit from the elements.

I've never seen the switches themselves in any format customised for triangular buttons as such.

gorgon

Jun 6, 2011
Normally the tactile type of foil buttons are Incorporated in the foil in some way. They are dome shaped metal springs and when you press them them you get the click when the dome is partly inverted. When released they return to the dome form. The electrical connection can be inside the foil layers or on a pcb under the foil. The dome is operating in a distance layer in the foil.

Another way to do it, is to use normal pushbuttons with a wide mushroom top under the foil to make the push area. This method need more mechanical Construction and cutouts for each switch.