Connect with us

Tachometer

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by mechanicalquery, Jan 11, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. mechanicalquery

mechanicalquery

Jan 11, 2014
    This may be straightforward, but I want a tachometer that I would use to measure the speed of a rotating shaft and have it read it out on my computer. Are these things pretty standard or would I have to build one? Most of the tachometers I've found have their own digital LCD display.

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    There are several ways of measurig the rotational speed of a shaft:
    - magnet and hall sensor
    - optoelectronically (e.g. reflex light barrier)
    - electromechanically (tachometer generator)
    - ultrasound

Each type of sensor will need additional signal conditioning to generate a signal that can be read by a computerI take it you don't want to count pulses and compute the rpm from that, you will want to read the rpm as a digital number using a computer's communication port (USB, serial...)?

You want to buy a unit or are you willing to build one yourself?.

3. jcurrie

jcurrie

Feb 22, 2011
    the mine i worked at used the magnet and hall effect the readings here sent to a interface by land line then displayed on a computer screen.
    jc

4. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Reflex light barrier might be a limitation, they might not be able to have everything in one package. I would go for what we call a break beam. Or as mentioned hall effect or personal favourite reed switch. Simple.
    Adam

Ask a Question