Maker Pro
Maker Pro

T-Joint on thin cable connected to Li-Po battery

GosuSan

Mar 21, 2017
Hey everyone,

my first post here, and I have a question right away.

I want to connect a cable to another one. The main cable's insulation should be stripped mid wire, so I can solder a second wire to it. I'd prefer to not cut the main wire, partly because of the looks of it, partly because of my personal preference.
The main wire is pretty thin, probably about 2 mm and is connected to a LiPo battery cell on one end and to a connector on the other end. So my question is, what would be the best way to remove the insulation from the main wire?
I did some research on the internet, and the three most suggested approaches were

1. splitting the cable in the middle, and pull on the insulation to either spread it wide enough to have enough room for soldering or spread it and then cut only the insulation

2. use a lighter or the soldering iron to burn away the insulation (does the heat of that approach hurt the LiPo?)

3. scrape the insulation with a razor blade (I feel not comfortable doing this)

I'd like to know your opinion, and other possibilities too, if there are any.

Thank you very much in advance!

Rayregula

Dec 20, 2016
1. splitting the cable in the middle, and pull on the insulation to either spread it wide enough to have enough room for soldering or spread it and then cut only the insulation

On a wire that small you will probably have a hard time doing this without damaging it.

2. use a lighter or the soldering iron to burn away the insulation (does the heat of that approach hurt the LiPo?)

I wouldn't recommend using a lighter as it would melt the insulation into the wire if its stranded wire and you would have dripping insulation. Definitely not a soldering iron as its bad for the tip. It shouldn't hurt the LiPo unless your very close to it.

3. scrape the insulation with a razor blade (I feel not comfortable doing this)

Probably your best option you would also need to use a razor blade or something similar for choice 1 anyway.

Hope this helps. :)

GosuSan

Mar 21, 2017
Thanks for your reply, I assume it actually is stranded wire, so I'll probably go with the third option then, and try to be super cautious with the razor blade. Thanks again, and if anyone has another idea or generally more input, I'd love to hear. I do have some more days anyway until the parts arrive.

EDIT: does anyone know if the heat-spread of option 2 would actually damage the LiPo cell?
Just curious.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
If your 'wire' is in fact a double wire going to the + and - of the battery then you will have to be very careful with your blade to avoid shorting the battery.