Connect with us

System for Sampling Temperature

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by p.f.sanford, Sep 15, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. p.f.sanford

p.f.sanford

Sep 15, 2010
    Hello,

I am new to this forum and need some electronics help. Im trying to build a system with a microchip and a rtd sensor to sample ambient air temperature just above a heating element and control the temperature.

The heating element is plugged into 120 V AC outlet and I have a SSR that either lets current in or not depending on if it is hot enough. I would like something more sophisticated than that. My question is, is it possible to control a variable resistance for the main circuit with an electronic circuit (It draws about 15 amps at a max)? What would I need to do that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Pat SanFord

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    What's wrong with turning the element on and off?

Do you know what the thermal lag is in the element? You may get away with turning it on for various fractions of a second (with 50Hz and tuning on/off at zero crossing point this gives you 100 possible power settings).

A variable resistance will just be another heat source similar to your element.

3. p.f.sanford

p.f.sanford

Sep 15, 2010
    The turning element on/off will work. I do not know what the thermal lag is, i have not had enough chance to test the unit. I would like to control the resistance so I can a more constant temperature by only supplying enough current to replace the heat that is dissipating.

Ask a Question