Maker Pro
Maker Pro

System for motion sensing and control

clowe8

Mar 15, 2012
Hi, I am trying to create a stabilisation device using a motion sensor to detect the position and motors to correct it. I have so far been looking at inertial measurement units and stepper control phidgets. I was wondering if anyone had any advice at all on which components I would need for this and how I could go about connecting it. Thank you for any help!

clowe8

Mar 15, 2012
Yes, I would prefer to use an IMU though as I'd have to code the integrating myself with an accelerometer. Also having a gyro is more suited to the application as it is a device for stabilisation in water.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I'm not sure I follow the gyroscope in water argument.

Are you wanting to know what way is up (in an absolute sense) or which way appears to be up?

If your craft(?) is not going to be pulling Gs in any meaningful way then both devices will perform pretty much the same function, with accelerometers perhaps having the edge.

If you're pulling Gs (like a segway -- surprisingly enough) and you want to know which way seems to be up so you can keep balance, then accelerometers really have a hugew advantage.

If you're pulling Gs and you want to know which way is absolutely up (e.g. in an aircraft to distinguish between level flight and a coordinated turn) then gyros have a large advantage.