Connect with us

Switching Power Supply for Tubed Amp

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by Ernst, Sep 30, 2006.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Ernst

    Ernst Guest

    Hi Y'all, I'm putting together a home-brew tubed amp, and need a power
    supply to suit. I intend to be heretical and power the amp with a
    switching supply. Amidon can help with the tech info and parts for the
    transformer. Can anyone point me in the direction of some help with
    the oscillator and power components?

    Thanks in advance,

  2. Eeyore

    Eeyore Guest

    So. What style of smps did you have in mind ?

  3. Ernst

    Ernst Guest

    The style that converts 120VAC to 430/-75/6.3VDC on the order of 400VA;
    with a switching frequency of 100khz or better.

    I'm not particular about topology; except "simple is better".

  4. lijikang

    lijikang Guest

    Hi, Have a look at:

    Control IC:
    LM5021, (National semi)
    NCP1201, (ON semi)
    MAX5094, (Maxim)

    Switch components:
    IRFP460, (500V,20A)

    To be honest, if you don't previous experience, it is not very easy to
    design a power supply with 400VA. You'd better find a experienced
    person to give you design direction.

  5. Ernst

    Ernst Guest

    Maxim is a good idea, thanks. I also ran across a circuit for an
    SG3524 that may adapt. The original app is a +/- 50V DC supply.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day