Connect with us

Switching possibilities

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by alejandromxl, Mar 26, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. alejandromxl

alejandromxl

Mar 26, 2013
    Hello, I have a question for you, I'm currently currently working in a project in which I need to develop a system with two modes of operation, I need to plug either two devices to a specific PCB and measure some currents and voltages on them, or connect only one device and measure a lot of currents and voltages on it. My problem is I have to design this PCB and because these two modes of operation there are some electrical conflicts making short-circuits in the connectors of the devices, this made me come to a solution in which I need to have 3-way bridges to move some pins when working in one mode or the other, but the amount of bridges is 34 bridges, I was looking for ideas how to electronically switch these bridges.

The worse case is to put headers and physically use jumpers for making the correct connections, I'm going to put my PCB into a rack with a height of 2.5 cm, I don't know if there are more switching options out there that I'm not aware of.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  2. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    My input is to check some electronics salvage sites. I'd look for a multi-level rotary switch. They're pricey new, but you might be able to find a reasonably priced one if
    you look.
    Wire one circuit into the multi-level (multiple contact) switch, wire the other circuit
    into the switch as needed.
    Select position one for one circuit, select position two for the second circuit.

3. alejandromxl

alejandromxl

Mar 26, 2013
    Thanks shrtrnd, I looked for your idea, but I found out those switches are too bulky for fitting into the rack, also I need 34 of them an to fit them into my PCB is not possible, the PCB must be 19.5 x 21 cm, anyway thanks for the idea.

4. Merlin3189

Merlin3189

Aug 4, 2011
    Any chance of seeing the circuit?

5. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    How about a whole lot of changeover relays?

DPDT (17 relays needed): http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/V23079A2003B301/PB1058-ND/1210004 - your cheapest option at USD 45 total

4PDT (9 relays needed): http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/HC4E-HP-DC24V/255-2211-ND/647869 - about USD 174 total

You can also get six-pole and eight-pole relays but not in PCB mount... apart from http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/SSAW-6C-24B/A101652-ND/2666245 which they have advertised for USD 843! I doubt they sell many of those :)

Ask a Question