Connect with us

Switching hydraulic solenoid

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by dpayne1022, Jul 31, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. dpayne1022

dpayne1022

Jul 31, 2012
    I am in no way an electronics buff but we are building an apparatus at work that I need help with. Basically what we are trying to do is have a Vickers hydraulic solenoid automatically switch flow once our hydraulic piston extends and retracts. All i can think of is something with a relay and two switches but I know there are options out there and I have no clue where to start. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    How fast does it need to switch?

A simple 555 timer circuit can be used to switch on and off
    Or you can use a microcontroller for ease of reprogramming

Relays will probably be needed for when you control the device, I dont know what voltage it operates at but its probably more than 5V so you would need to control it with a relay that can handle more than it runs on on the output side but can be controlled with 5VDC

3. dpayne1022

dpayne1022

Jul 31, 2012
    Well the stroke on the hydraulic ram is 24". What i want to do is, as it extends hit a switch that powers the solenoid and reverses my flow to retract my ram. When it retracts have it hit another switch to switch the flow back to my solenoid to extend it again. This is to continuously repeat until we turn it off ourselves.

4. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    simple enough, switch to turn it on, a couple latching relays and switches for extended/retracted and youre golden

5. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
  6. dpayne1022

dpayne1022

Jul 31, 2012
    Any particular switches you would recommend? Also, with the relays, what specs should i be looking for. I'm currently using 110/120v solenoid .

7. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    You didn't answer the question.

Ask a Question